People Stealing Stuff?

I had one of those tapes stolen from my brother’s car when I loaned it to him (not STR related). It was from a guy in school who lived in the room next to me that I took care of returning his drunk self to his bed without him getting in trouble one night when he came back well after taps…(curfew). He ended up the lead singer in a band (he played guitar too) and that tape he made me as my requested repayment could probably fetch a pretty penny but not as much as it meant to me personally.

2 Likes

A cactus ornament.
A bottle opener.

Sorry but that really made me chuckle :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A “Canada 150” tin mug was taken by Americans. When I wrote to ask if they could remember where they might have left it, the girlfriend said the boyfriend accidentally packed it.
I guess Americans have so many Canada 150 mugs of their own that they forget whose is whose :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve had people take a full place setting of silverware and a bowl. I have no illusions that this was a mistake and tossed out by accident. Really? You couldn’t just get some plastic stuff. You had to break up a set of good silverware. So, I have now put pieces of plastic silverware in the back of the drawer along with the good silverware and I have cheap plastic dishes that are meant for people to take to the beach in the cabinet. Hopefully that will be a hint. When we furnished our place for rent, I bought an extra set of dishes and an extra set of silverware that I could break up and use as replacements. I am also planning on my next trip there to put labels inside each cabinet with an inventory of the cabinet. Hopefully if people think that inventory is being taken after each stay, they may be less likely to lift items thinking that no one will notice.

3 Likes

So far… 2 x recycling containers, 2 x complete set of towels and matching bath mat, unique large flints (to hold open the gate for ease of luggage transfer), all complimentary items including dishwasher tablets, tomato sauce, full jars of marmalade, spare loo rolls, cling film and kitchen foil.

As I said, so far!

Nothing, as far as I know … but tbh, I am so absent-minded that if it was something any smaller than a fridge I either wouldn’t notice or would assume that I’d lost it myself.

One of the sets of keys for the ABB apartment (with a rather nice personalised key ring) went missing and I was absolutely certain guests had taken it, though probably by mistake. However, they said no, so I had to let it go. Until several weeks later when I found them in one of my shoes.

Oh, come on … you know what happens, you’re carrying things between rooms, you can’t manage everything so you have to put some stuff inside other stuff and a shoe is very handy for putting smaller things in …

7 Likes

I don’t count folks who take all the tiny soaps, razors, toothbrushes, coffee pods etc as stealing. If I did I’d be really disappointed, as it seems 1out of 5 of our minimum term renters (3 days) do that. In high season our minimum stay is a month, and those guests usually leave us with more wine, coffee, and toilet paper than we started with and seldom use the travel size amenities as they bring their own, or pop to the market when they get there.

Because the very short term renters use so many consumables, and also tend to use more utilities than those staying longer, we price accordingly. Weekly rate is 5X Daily rate. Monthly rate is 3.5 X weekly rate. Cleaning fee is $150 regardless of how long the stay.

1 Like

Mostly food. The young ones are like seagulls. Food is cheap here so I leave a stash on the counter.

2 Likes

I used to always leave phone charging cables plugged in by the bed, but more often than not the guests took them with them. I’m sure it was a mistake when rushing to pack, but it’s a shame because it’s too expensive to keep replacing them. So what was a nice touch, isn’t an option anymore.

3 Likes

Only thing I’ve ever had taken are pens and a wine bottle opener.

I’ve only had a cord taken once, and the guest actually mailed it back without me saying anything. I’d suggest putting a cord tag on it.

1 Like

I leave them in the night stand drawer next to the bed and no one has taken any yet.

Wow! That sucks! I have all that stuff but I do full/giant size—big full size bars of soap, giant bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hand and body lotion—on everything I can now. Guests use it but don’t take it home with them. Guests seem to use/take razors and toothbrushes most frequently so I started buying the cheapest ones possible and they don’t seem to disappear as fast

1 Like

Good idea! 202020020

RR

1 Like

So they are using YOUR toothbrush? Ewe

RR

You are joking, I hope. My AirBnBs are entire separate homes. Guests have no access to my home and, except for guests staying at the AirBnB house right next to mine, no idea where I live.

The toothbrushes I provide for guests are sealed in individual factory wrapping.

Also ewe is a female sheep. I presume you meant “ew.”

5 Likes

Ah, I see now. Then they are not stealing them they are using them. I only leave out a couple so if they use them all no loss. Most people don’t use them so it’s really no big deal. It is annoying when they take everything that’s available and the packaging is not in the trash, then I know they just emptied the basket in the suitcase. Low end.

RR

1 Like

I question whether they are using or taking them. I imagine it’s a combination of both. I think some are being used by guests who forgot to pack their toothbrush and others are being taken by folks who have a toothbrush with them but decide to help themselves to a new one at no cost.

If I put three toothbrushes in the cabinet for guests to use if they forget theirs…and there are two guests staying two days…and we come in to clean and restock and there are no toothbrushes, then I suspect at least one of the guests has decided to help themselves to a new toothbrush for free.

I used to buy nice Oral B brand toothbrushes. Now I just buy the cheapest ones I can find. Same with the razors—especially the men’s razors—they would disappear by the pack. I used to buy really nice quality razors. Now I just buy the cheapest ones possible.

2 Likes

Maybe try zip-stripping the cord to the leg of the bedside table? It will not stop it from being stolen but the guest must make a conscious effort to take it. So far after 2 summers my 2 are still there.

6 Likes

Great idea! 20202020202