Peeing in the hot tub...šŸ˜’

How about for spilt beer??:joy:

1 Like

What is mind boggling in all this is "Here in San Diego, CA, even with the drought, it only costs around $4.00
to refill the average 400 gallon hot tub with fresh water."
They should start to charge a decent price for water in CA, then people wouldnā€™t continue to waste water like that. That is over a 1500 liters ā€¦ just for a hot soak. That should be prohibited ā€¦

1 Like

What is that decent price and how will you regulate which uses are acceptable and which are not?

My first reaction was: get rid of candles and hot tub. On 2nd thought, I am still of the same opinion. Perhaps both are too tricky to make them work with guests.

Alex, read your water bill. Odds are you pay even less for water than we do here in CA.

Iā€™m not suggesting you drain the tub after each use like a bathtub but sometimes draining it between tenants is a better idea than treating it with more chemistry.

A full sized washing machine uses about 50 gallons a load and every gallon goes down the drain after just one use. The average single-family household dumps 400 gallons of water down the drain every day so draining/refilling a hot tub is not a significant amount of water when compared to daily use. People on vacation often shower and change clothes two or three times a day so you can expect above average water use when the house is occupiedā€¦

Draining a hot tub at least every three or four months is more than reasonable. Depending on what the last tenants did in the hot tubā€¦it may be necessary to drain it between guests. Do you really want the next guests soaking in the last guestā€™s ā€˜people flavored stewā€™?

The primary point is: you can fix some problems with chemistry but itā€™s often faster, easier, more efficient and, most importantly, more sanitary to just dump out a batch of water rather than dumping in a bunch of chemistry or imposing a bunch of rules nobody will follow anyway.

I have a customer who tried to write a rule that keeps sand out of the hot tub when the house is a block from the beach.

You can post rules and fine your guests for cleaning sand out of the tub or you can just accept the sand as unavoidable and plan cleaning as part of the cost of doing business.

It took me about 5 minutes to teach cleaning staff how to get the sand out of a hot tub between guests so now the owner doesnā€™t have to post rules or chastise and fine people on vacation.

Btw: All the discussion about testing for urine or beer in the water is silly. If you want to spend money taking water samples and sending them off to a lab, maybe you can pay for full forensic testing and get DNA to determine exactly who peed (or did whatever else) in the waterā€¦ You should be able to get all kinds of DNA from the filter cartridge!

Then again, you can just assume at least half the adults and every single one of the kids soaking in hot water pee at least a little and then recognize that urine is the least of your worries. Thatā€™s how public pools are managed.

In a small, portable hot tub, a $4.00 batch of water is the cheapest way to solve the problem of pee (or whatever) in the hot tub without pissing off the guests in the process.

2 Likes

Not to mention liability! People have drowned in them! Kids too. Is it worth it?

I have no choice but to offer the hot tubā€¦itā€™s an expected amenity here in the Smoky Mountains. . EVERY rental home here has oneā€¦to NOT have one is an immediate demerit. So thatā€™s not gonna happen especially after the 6g Iā€™ve invested in it.

Iā€™ve eliminated the candles and since itā€™s spring shut off the gas fireplace.

1 Like
1 Like

Do you have adults peeing in hot tub or just children? How can you tell that the guests have been peeing in the tub? I just started renting a room and have a hot tub and this concerns me.

1 Like

I donā€™t either. Never! As you said, itā€™s human broth youā€™re sitting in: dissolved dingleberries, dead skin, sweat, body oil, mucous, etc.

1 Like