Paying on the installment plan?

Yes, it holds your calendar for maybe 36 hours? We got the request overnight so when I saw it, there was 29 hrs left to go.
They didn’t organise payment until the following night while we were asleep again.
But it’s odd because when you get a group payment request it comes through as an “enquiry” but I never received any notification on the app or an email. Then once the payment had been processed, the instant book notification/email came through.

I had my first “waiting for payment” group booking last week. This was for Memorial weekend, and I was advised by Airbnb that they had three days to pay. Two days later, the guest wrote me that they just didn’t realize how much was going to be added to the total with taxes and fees and they only have X to spend.

I was annoyed and certainly didn’t bite on what I believe was a creepy tactic for a discount. Air tells you exactly what you’re paying when you book, and supposedly one of them had already paid. I told her I knew she would find the perfect place in their budget and asked her to cancel. She let the time run out (probably while she was searching), which annoyed me even more.

1 Like

JERK! See, this is why this BS does not benefit hosts.
I likely won’t see the split payment thing because I only rent to couples, but the fact that Air would let this go on and completely sack the host underscores what I mean. They don’t give a rip about hosts!

1 Like

Yes, and three days seems really over the top for this. It leaves a lot of wiggle room for cancellation and second thoughts. I could see 24 hours, but 72 is just too much.

1 Like

I agree that 72 hours is too long! I got one of these yesterday and it’s tying up my calendar on a lucrative weekend in June. Guests have 48 hours to change their minds completely, but they need 72 to get their friends to get their acts together and pay? In this age of instantaneous everything, it can’t take that long to get a hold of your friends, tell them you found a cool place and that they need to get on it and pay their share! You snooze you lose! I think they should only have 24 hours.

2 Likes

Have to say I agree, especially since my people let their time run out when “they didn’t realize how much it would be with all of the fees”…

I couldn’t agree more. I had one for the Easter w/e for four guests, with the 72 hour period of a blocked calendar the week before actual Easter. One payment failed to go through, so I simply declined the whole booking - obviously on offer at the time, but I can’t recall the how or why. Then the primary “organiser” panicked and paid the whole lot on her on card; result…

1 Like

I hope they ended up being good guests for you. I don’t like this three day policy one bit.

My people also let the clock run out, then messaged that her cousin couldn’t travel on those dates. :-(.

Did you or will you get a replacement booking?

Yes, I got a replacement!!!

1 Like