Patronizing communication

Any one else irritated by the patronizing tone of Airbnb communication?

6 Likes

example? (20char)ā€¦

Oh yes, I love how even their BAD NEWS is sent with a (heart).

2 Likes

The email last night to ā€œupdateā€ on where they are at with Airbnb Plus. Not at. Then telling me what I need to do to be an excellent host in the meantime. All of it is what Iā€™ve always done pre-hosting anyway. Itā€™s only our bedroom suite thatā€™s a hovel, and that only post-hosting!

Patronising was the exact word I used last night, as I spluttered in rage.

2 Likes

The tone sounds so false to me. I picture Effie, the PR/entertainment reporter from the Hunger Games, oblivious to others pain.

4 Likes

Or perhaps Aunt Lydia. :laughing:

3 Likes

She is a great character, she makes my blood boil, i hope we learn what auntie lydia did before the world went totally potty. You always need a good ole villian. I love the concept of the programme very addictive

3 Likes

Iā€™m so in love with this show!!!

I like these two dystopian embodiments of Airbnbā€™s communication style! One is so ditzy and surface-oriented it doesnā€™t notice everyone isnā€™t enjoying the game. The other is so sure itā€™s chosen the correct course and swallowed their own kool-aidā€¦ ā€œweā€™re doing this for your own good, dear!ā€

Iā€™ve been reading interviews with the actress. Interesting her methods for playing a twisted villain. The best villains always have a bit of conflict about their actions, I think. Yes great show, kinda dark!

1 Like

NOPE, nope and nope. LOL. Just today the conclusion of the message I got from support said ā€œI want to thank you for being a wonderful Superhost. We look forward to seeing your listing shine. Happy hosting!ā€

I missed that GEM of a comment first time around. I had to go back after reading your post to see if Iā€™d missed being irritated by something. My listing is going to SHINE on like a crazy diamond. I can only laugh at their silliness.

3 Likes

Yes, itā€™s a prime example of what passes for acceptable communication in silicon valley these days. Passive-aggressive, fake, and condescending all at the same time.

11 Likes

Oh exactly how I feel but couldnā€™t find the words.

1 Like

ā€œSoon you will be leaving us for new homes, a new family. And they wonā€™t judge you for your looks, or your clothes, or your ability to sound clever.ā€ But they will still give you an overall score of 4 and a 3 for location.

4 Likes

I think Aunt Lydia was an AirBnB host who initially let her guests run all over her and came to realise that rules and discipline are needed for things to run smoothly.

4 Likes

What about dear old nurse Ratched?

2 Likes

No, I donā€™t feel patronised. Itā€™s just the same pathetic, politically-friendly, ā€˜caringā€™ bollocks that is typical of corporate communications today. Itā€™s only the online equivalent of McDonaldsā€™ ā€˜have a nice dayā€™ or the call centreā€™s ā€˜thank you for calling xxx. Your call is important to usā€¦ā€™

They are all nonsense. Iā€™m immune.

2 Likes

Oh yeah! She was the original aunt Lydia!

Oh brother. I wouldnā€™t even say that to my classes of second graders. Even they would think it was silly.

2 Likes

I used to ā€¦ now I just find it hilarious. The Husband (my co-host) and I read out the choicest bits to each other when we want a good laugh!