Outdoor cameras - what brand and where should they be installed?

I was unaware near cameras could wire directly to the router. I have 9 (4 different types) and not one wires to the router. Mine all connect to the router via WiFi and I’ve never had to manually reset any of them when the power goes out.

My mistake, I meant the power plug not the router. My mind was elsewhere. Anyways, it still causes us to manually re-set when the power goes out, which is annoying but manageable.

Oh ok. I still don’t understand the need to manually reset when the power goes out. Mine go back online as soon as the WiFi is back. When you say manually reset what exactly are you doing? I can’t even reach some of mine as I have them set under eaves. The only thing I can think is to unplug and plug back in but even that I don’t have to do. I’m wondering if maybe it is your WiFi router that you need to manually reset and not the nest cameras. If so, a different router would be the easiest to avoid that, or maybe even just a different setting for the current one.

I’ll investigate it again once we’re back up in Northern California!

1 Like

At least on ours (Arlo and Nest) they will automatically go back online once power is back on. Sometimes it takes a bit of time though. Especially the Arlo.

1 Like