Our whole house smells like weed (or something worse)

@JJD I only rent out a room and private bath in my home. Fabreeze gives me a migraine and allergy attack, so I only use vinegar and water.

I was all linens, including covers, in between every guest.

It’s a lot of work and huge expense that my bookings don’t cover. I’m in an area where people are looking for whole homes instead of single rooms, so I don’t get a lot of traffic.

I’ve amended my rules to cover stinky weed. :frowning:

@casailinglady Just answering your question. IMO it’s good to have those things on hand in case of a situation. Too much stress going on to look for them all if it happens to you.

1 Like

Thank you for understanding my comment was not meant to offend.

hahaha I bet we do! Different cultures do have differing and sometimes distinguishable odors.

1 Like

And I appreciate it. I really do. I just can’t justify the expense of air purifiers at this point.

My solution for Biokleen is a vinegar solution. And I changed the air intake filters the second they left. UGH

You’re welcome. Sometimes we’re all too easily offended when no offense was meant.

Yes, different cultures have different ideas about personal hygiene. It makes for entertaining interactions!

@casailinglady I can’t imagine not having air purifiers. We run one while we clean between guests so that it doesn’t smell “like other people” for the next guests. Most utility companies have a rebate program for them. They were a good investment for us.

We use vingegar too but it doesn’t cover what the Bac-out covers. Bac-Out is an enzyme cleaner. All natural, no funny smell.

I’m sure plenty of us on this forum don’t have air purifiers. As I mentioned, I don’t have the traffic to justify $500 Dyson products.

Is there a particular one you recommend?

For air purifiers we like (and I did a ton of research) the Blueair Blue Pure 211. They are the bigger ones but they make a smaller one (411) that’s perfect a single room and is about $100 before any rebates. We got $45 a piece back from our utility company for each of our air purifiers. The big ones cost $300 but I got them at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon and then the $45 rebate from the utilities, so it was a pretty good deal.

But, I’m not saying everyone needs one or anything, just sharing that they have been really useful for us.

1 Like

I can’t justify the $300, that’s 1 weekend for me and I’m never fully booked.

Where do you live? Because I don’t think FL gives rebates for that. But I’m happy to be mistaken! :wink:

I don’t think you need the $300 one (which actually only cost $240 with the coupon and then only $195 after the rebate). The one that is $100 would be perfect for a single room situation like yours and would only be $80 with a coupon.

As far as rebates from utilities companies, I’ve moved a lot my whole life and every state I’ve lived in has offered rebates through the electric/water/gas companies of some sort. Wouldn’t hurt to look it up because there might be something good for you in the rebates. Even power strips, shower heads and lightbulbs!

A bit of a can of worms that I opened here but thanks to all of the tips on how to get rid of the smell next time. Being inexperienced with this problem we handled it this way:

• We turned the heat off in the house (it was 38 degrees F outside), opened a bunch of windows and doors and turned our monster whole house fan on for 2 hours. That helped with 1 end of the house.
  • While the fan was running we were washing all linens, towels, and materials we could.
  • The house dropped to 50 degrees F and we turned off the whole house fan and scrubbed all surfaces for the next 6 - 7 hours with 1 - 2 people.
  • We went back the next day and did the floors again.

We were lucky that no one booked for 3 pm that day as the house was right by then.

Rick

2 Likes

3 during this stay, the other 2 were closed off but they were also affected by the smell.