Our first official bad guest - any help is appreciated

This is my intention… =)

I disagree with @Mexican. Wait a day or two and then write the review but DO NOT wait until the last day to write it. Write it soon, so we can help you get it “right”. Then post it on the last day. If you wait until the last day to write it we probably won’t be able to help you write an appropriate (factual, to the point, unemotional) review.

4 Likes

Probably. That tells me that they had a good experience and had no problems at all. Its a perfect example of an advantage of the double blind system.

Yeah I have no idea either. Maybe he feels like you’re gouging him because he’s the hotshot paying for the wedding and you always get gouged at weddings. Thats why I like to delay things like that as much as possible. You gain no advantage by sending the request before the last possible moment and same with the review.

Its very understandable. They sound like a bunch of savages.

I think you have a good chance of getting what you need through the Airbnb resolution center. If not, go to the company. In person is best or in writing by snail mail. Emails will get ignored. Third option, is just sue him in small claims court. You know where he works so you can have a sheriff’s deputy serve him there. I know that SUCKS but you’re giving him a chance to work this out amicably… It’s only $80 here and it isn’t that hard to take someone to court when you have damages you can clearly identify.

No… really?! :rofl:

1 Like

I would not recommend this strategy as it will completely backfire. Now you’ve threatened his livelihood and even though he said he was in finance it is irrelevant. The company didn’t book the place. This guidance will cause all kinds of bad things to happen, none of which solves the issue.

6 Likes

Don’t be intimidated or scared by his threats. This guest was trying to intimidate by bringing up how powerful his position at his company is and threatening to sue. The host hasn’t done anything wrong and as long as she stays within the lanes of whats legal, she can get her damages from the guest. He doesn’t have any special legal protections where she isn’t allowed to go to his work. He came into her home and damaged the place substantially so this isn’t out of line by any means. They are serious damages and they need to be taken seriously.

@happilytorn I would not have called the guest, in fact, for $83 in damages I would consider the damages as the cost of doing business and forget about it. Further, if you really wanted to collect $83, I would have sent messages using the platform and not engage the guest on the phone. Also, keep in mind that if the guest “threatens” you with a bad review, then Airbnb will support you, but how can you prove anything since your discussion was on a phone call?

5 Likes

Yeah lesson learned for sure. I’ve never had a bad review before… worst review I’ve had was 4 stars on a different property so I’m not familiar with this… I’ve collected damages in the past and no one acted this way. We only charged him $240 a night (for 10 adults and 1 infant) plus tax… for our Spring Break (including weekend) for a 6 bedroom so I wouldn’t normally let $83 go (we really aren’t making that much money as is)… Up until the phone call I thought it was going to be easy like the rest of the collections I’ve had to make (which granted hasn’t been many, thankfully).

Wow thats a deal… less than $25 per person per night for what sounds like an amazing place.

Thanks. He got a great rate. But I’m sure he gave me a 1 star on value.

This is the place: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/23417002?s=51

Almost everything up to Miss Miami is how NOT to handle this. $83. Learn when to shut up. Most replies were also misguided.

Why are you challenging him??!

Clean up the vomit. Fix the shower and screen door. Look the other way. Every now and then this happens.

He sounded possibly positive until you started the investigation.

Sheesh.

2 Likes

That place looks amazing! Love the hot tub especially. I know those aren’t cheap. It almost looks like you’re losing money on this place…

The bears are a perfect touch to the woodland theme. Very cute. Too bad about the vomit encrusted special guests.

1 Like

Thanks!! We try to make everything nice… And always handle any customer complaints right away and fix every item the moment we know it’s broken. I don’t think we make any money during the week but do make some on the weekend…

Which is why you should always contact them about these problems via AirBnB instead of phoning them. That way his threats would be on the record and case closed.

2 Likes

Yeah lesson learned…

This is why shitty guests get away with murder.
Don’t be held ransom to reviews. 1 star guest 1 star review

4 Likes

I totally agree. Especially when the guest is clearly some powerful bully. We aren’t making so much money that we can just give away close to $100.

4 Likes

I saw your post on the FB vent forum too and I know their replies can be harsher. What I have learned from the other forum is
a) Just send in the resolution request and wait the 72 hours. Don’t confront the guest. Then get aibnb involved.
b) Expect a bad review so think abut if $83 was worth the bad review.
c) I would definitely give them an honest bad review.

1 Like

Absolutely DON’T bother going to his company. Nothing will come of that except wasting your time. He’s the CFO and you are who? They’ll just hang up on you.

But don’t be intimidated, either. Either open a case in resolution center, or just forget it and eviscerate him in the review. (Oh, the review part can be done even if you open the case).

1 Like

$83 ? 5 night booking… Hmm IDK how serious it is. As hosts we get in to the trap of taking things personally and then get worked up over the principle of the thing. I try and look through the lense of what is the best business decision? For me 5 nights is about $1500 I would not make an $83 claim and suffer the review associated with the entitled brat ceo. Clean it up, fix the screen and move on. Too late here though.

RR

2 Likes