OUCH, it finally happened to me, BIG PARTY in my home

Last year on Halloween the guest had a large party at my bnb. My neighbors thought I was hosting it since it remained quiet for the most part. In the morning I noticed a few things that said “party”, # 1 was a overflowing trash bin filled with over 7 large bags of beer bottles and a run over mail box. I spoke with neighbors and learned of the “party” then. I contacted Airbnb and explained what happened and submitted a claim (not sure I had to have all the monetary amounts submitted before next guest checked in, but I did take photos of damage and submitted info on what happened.) I thought that since I had in my listing description “no parties” that I could get the extra guest fee from unpaid guests. I couldn’t but they told me to add to my listing fees an “unsanctioned party fee” and charges that would be assessed for extra guests if such an event happened later. So I have this on my listing now. Airbnb’s insurance I believe paid for a new mail box and post and I got extra money for cleaning, around $300, but I didn’t get the extra garbage fee or guest fees. I took it as a learning experience. I hope you are able to get some kind of payment for what you had to experience. In the future you may want to stop allowing unpaid guests to visit, I have learned through Airbnb that if one of them breaks a leg or something else happens to them it wouldn’t be included under Airbnb’s insurance meaning you would be responsible to pay their medical etc., using your homeowners insurance. During the first month as a host a guest used my home as a meet-up spot for other family in area and one person slipped on ice and was injured. Airbnb’s insurance agent called me and I learned that if they weren’t one of the paid guests I would be responsible to pay it. Thankfully it was a paying guest (not sure how the agent figured that out). So now I make sure that guests know it is due to liability that I don’t allow other guests.

1 Like

If that is not a reason to have your own STR insurance with decent third party liability, I don’t know what is.

JF

AirBnB doesn’t have “insurance agents” and their bogus “Host Guarantee” is NOT insurance. You need to have insurance for your home that covers short term rentals and third parties since Air is known for not paying claims.

1 Like

It makes me chuckle that most people wouldn’t lend their car to a complete stranger yet they are happy to have strangers take over their property (which is probably worth ten times more than their car) without having specific STR insurance.

Airbnb isn’t going to give coverage and standard homeowners’ insurance isn’t going to either.

3 Likes

TANGENT WARNING! :triangular_flag_on_post: :warning:

I’m curious if anyone has actually rented their car via Turo or similar. The thought of loaning my car actually does worry me more than having them stay in my guest house.

I recently had a guest who flew in and used Turo instead the typical Hertz/Avis. and it got me thinking about whether, when I get my next car, that I just keep the current one and ‘Turo’ it for those AirBNB guests, with insurance (of course).

Yes. Around 2015. I did it several times. Ultimately I decided it made me nervous to think of someone totaling my 2005 Tacoma which was low miles and pristine condition and me being forced to buy a new car before I was ready. Also someone rented it and took it camping and I think they picked up a nail.

Not too long after the campers rented it I had a low tire with a nail and had to replace the tire. I wasn’t driving it much so it made sense. But it had already been a couple of weeks and I knew there was no evidence that it was them so I didn’t even try to contact Turo about it.

All in all it seemed like too little money for the risk but I didn’t have any horrible experiences.

2 Likes

I used Turo only one time, as a renter about 5 years ago on a business trip to CA. I did it to try my company some money vs. using a traditional rental car.

I probably would not do it again unless it was for personal travel and significant cost savings.

If the vehicle in question would be strictly “pickup and drop-off at your stay - and not meeting a customer wherever”, I could see that working as a value add.

@Jefferson. My recent guest told me he uses Turo to be able to drive cars he wouldn’t normally drive. He rented a Porshe (albeit a Cayman).

In my particular situation I’d have guests UBER/Lyft from the airport and then have use of a Tesla S, which I think would peak interest of some guests.

If I do approach it, I’d need to do a business case analysis and see what the payback might be: cost of selling / trade in vs revenue generated. I could charge more because cost of gas is not a factor but the items like @KKC experienced may make it more troublesome than valuable.

The other crimp is that my 3rd garage, where the potential 3rd car would be parked, has recently become a ‘Pandemic Home Gym’ so that also weighs into the equation of do I really want a 3rd car.

Is there a way for you to maybe have this as an “experience” that is tied in - to leverage someone else’s investment and test the waters?

So sorry you experienced that. On reservations I now require the first and last names of everyone who will be in the home and on the reservation. No one is allowed to be on the premises without my prior written authorization. Plus they have to agree they have read and agree to my house rules before booking. I also changed my minimum stay to 4 days. Have not been getting alot of inquiries from Air bnb clients but am doing fine with VRBO. I had one scare and thanks to this forum I closed some of the loopholes I did not know I had. This might be a good time to hire someone to assist you in cleaning up the mess.

I agree with you- I would rather have a vacant residence then risk a party event. I am currently at 4 day minimum and so far things have been very good.

1 Like