Other "Sharing Economy" Activities?

Someone else drives your car you are still the insured person and it’s your insurance not the driver’s that is liable and covers the cost. My friend borrowed my car in CA and ran into the neighbor’s parked car and my insurance had to pay. This was Geico.

1 Like

Life involves lots of risks and that’s why insurance companies exist. The issue is that insurance is moving much slower than the sharing economy. They will catch up. Until they do people need to have a high risk tolerance to participate in the sharing economy. I used to ride a motorcycle without a helmet so obviously my risk tolerance is high. LOL.

Exactly my point. Do your homework and I would take the promises of Getaround with a grain a salt. Even if they stand by you in the case of a fatal accident … the legal fees! Oy!

Some folks are in the process of establishing The Edmonton Tool Library in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Don’t know if this counts, but before I bought my house, I was renting half a duplex, the other tenant and I came to an agreement to split the cost of garbage removal, snow removal, and since he enjoyed lawn care, we would switch off lawn care for my housekeeping services in the summer (he would basically clean before I got the good end of that deal!)
My trash is removed by town now, included in my taxes, so that’s not an issue. But I do share a driveway with one of my neighbors, he has a plow for his truck and obviously plows the whole driveway, so many times during the summer, I have my lawnmower guy mow his yard.
I also share my netflix account with a friend, up to 4 people can use the account at any given time, and she has two children, so it works out well. It just all comes out of my bank account, and every July she pays me her portion for the year.

My neighbor owns a model T ford which he pays me to store in my garage. It’s a small amount but we get to use access to his beachfront for swimming! And we are friends. Garages are a rare commodity on our island so we share half.

2 Likes

I saw one on the news here, but it involved an expensive membership fee and wasn’t really in this part of town. I want a free local one.

You can rent your bicycle out on spinlister.com. I never tried it but there are some bikes listed in a nearby town, Beacon, NY.

1 Like

Dogbuddy

I’m on similar websites to Air but nothing.