One set of guests leaving due to noise from other guests

There is a subset of guests who are purposely scamming Airbnb hosts. They know they can complain about noise or smells because these can’t be proven. Gullible hosts give refunds, Airbnb overrides host who aren’t gullible. There are entire websites devoted to how to get something for nothing. These are the kind of people who will take an insect in a plastic bag to a restaurant and insert it into the food. They will buy a jacket and tuck the tag up and wear it and then return it for a refund to the store when they are done.

Don’t give them a refund, make them work Airbnb for it. You know a bad review is coming so make sure you leave one for them as well.

3 Likes

Did they leave early? If so, how many days did they stay and what was left?
If the noise was just one time it should not be a full refund. I would fight giving them any refund.

UPDATE:
So this delusional fantasy is what he left me as a review… deep breath
If you value any amount of sleep, DO NOT BOOK THIS ACCOMMODATION !! The room is directly below another “pet friendly” apartment owned by Kerensa which had 3 or 4 large retriever type dogs staying whilst we were there. At 3am, all the dogs decided it was time to go out and the noise of them walking around sounded like they were in the room with you. Combined with this, there is no curtain on the front door so every time the security light went on, the whole room lit up !! By the time the dogs had settled back down, the sun had come up and the room was light so impossible to get back to sleep. Upon contacting Kerensa, she said that she would “have a word” with the guests even though she admitted they were breaking the house rules as only 2 dogs were allowed. Suffice to say, the following night was no better as it is impossible to stop dogs moving around - just as I had predicted. Due to no sleep for a 2nd night, we decided to check out early and return home totally ruining our break. When contacted, Kerensa was terribly apologetic until the discussion of a refund for the remaining lost night was raised upon which she immediately put the phone down !! The one, (and only), positive for this accommodation is the location. We have never had any trouble whatsoever before and will be continuing to use Airbnb.

This is what I want to leave, but probably shouldn’t. Advice you wise bunch of weirdos :smiley:
After a few years of hosting on Airbnb you will expect the occasional negative review. I usually take it on board, and move on. This one however is so utterly full of nonsense that I feel I must respond. Firstly, this room is on the lower ground floor, the other guests stayed in the loft annex. There is an entire floor between them. It is not directly below the loft by any stretch. The guests above did in fact have 2 dogs, not 3., not 4. As soon as I was made aware by Rikki that there was a noise problem, I spoke to them immediately, and told them to keep the noise down and not to walk the dogs after 9pm. Rikki constantly told me that I should do something about my wood floors and seemed upset when I told him I had none and had very thick carpet and underlay. He also accused me of lying when I told him he was the first person to ever make a noise complaint. Finally, I was the one who offered to give them a refund, not the other way around and to suggest that I hung up the phone when HE requested a refund, is frankly outrageous. My past reviews speak for themselves.

Way too wordy and defensive. I would probably not leave a review but if you do make it very short. I would not address the guest directly but maybe just say our accommodations allow dogs so please be aware there maybe some noise related to this. There are some really savvy hosts here who do a great job of writing a response, hope they will help!

2 Likes

I agree with Maggie. Something along the lines of “I apologized and and offered a refund. My description and stellar reviews should tell future guests what to expect: an outstanding stay at a reasonable price.” I wouldn’t show him that he’d gotten under my skin or get in a debate about what happened.

1 Like

Did you by chance follow up on your over the phone offer of a refund with a message on Airbnb? And have you promptly accepted the refund request?
If so, you might be able to try to get it taken off with that argument.

I have been stewing over this and will just leave a short, I will let my reviews speak for themselves type deal. Still really shocked that someone would post something this hateful and full of lies.

1 Like