Older female guests lately who feel “weird” staying in a stranger’s home with them there

Guests sometimes read very little so find the actual listing details surprising. There is little that we can do except make the most important details the most visible. Although in-home guests make an implied offer to interact, our guests really don’t. Their level of socialization should be totally up to them. I also find that I get categories of guests such as messy ones, late ones, odd ones, in bunches. Just as they start to make me crazy, the little flare up subsides. Be patient.

2 Likes

Your guests are not allowed to wear perfume?
I would rather leave my mascara, but my perfume? Never

1 Like

My airways shut right down due to asthma in the presence of perfumes (and plug-in air fresheners).

2 Likes

They probably assume it’s like a hotel where you have complete privacy in your room and would have little encounter with anyone else other than passing by in the hall. I’ve also started making it very clear in my listing and acceptance message that my cat and I live there.

1 Like

Mention in your description(s) that your home is owner occupied.

That’s a really excellent point. After doing this for years, my favourite guests are the ones I never see after check-in! But if people want a bit of interaction, that’s ok. I take my cue from the guest. 99% of the time they are friendly and we have a chat at check-in, then they want to be left to themselves.

And he turned out to be a really sweet older gay man.

1 Like