Okay - this is weird

LOL!!! From Billy BOb??? No way!!! :slight_smile:

I know what you mean. Even though I try to be clear, I have found the same. Germans and Swiss are usually good though. Itā€™s the Asian countries that Iā€™ve had trouble with. Donā€™t get me wrong, I had an awesome time visiting both Korea and Japan and loved the people but I have found those guests were the worst at understanding directions and didnā€™t follow house rules probably because they could not get through reading my instructions.

Omgā€¦ This sounds like a complete ā€œlost in translationā€ situation. Can you email the daughter who booked them and let her know you only allow light cooking? Otherwise I fear you will have a Kasage scenario!

After reading about problems hosts have had with guests who book their non English speaking parents, I will never ever do that! Actually most guests booking Hawaii are the same ones who stay in the room.

I cannot believe how or why it is that your property attracts cooks!!! You are very smart to surmise that a long stay means lots of cooking. Also it is a red flag if youā€™ve got it all over your description that you only allow light cooking yet they are still asking about it!!! This means that they either havenā€™t read it or they are hoping you will make an exception for them. Wow.

1 Like

No, Kona, I already took off even light cooking option, now itā€™s only warming up.
I will stick with my one-two days guests, though itā€™s more work to change beds and clean.
I was thinking even if I allowed cooking. I have a guest over Christmas weekend who rented my room for only reason that she needs to study for bar exam. She is local and have relatives over weekend staying but she needs to study and needs piece and quiet. How it will be possible to combine her and people who will create so much noise on a kitchen! Or I have guests who ā€œwarnedā€ me that over 4 days she is staying for New Years they are going to party heavily in Miami beach, then sleep half a day. They asked me if my house is quiet and they can get some sleep during the day. I have no problem moving around the house quietly , and make noise on a kitchen when they are off partying at night. PLus i dont really cook as much anyway.
Not to mention my husband who is working 80 hours a week now because of the season.
Kitchen use creates a lot of noise and disorder, and its my only option to not allow its use.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so glad you did this. It will help you attract the sort of guests who are truly a fit. Iā€™ve realized I donā€™t want people who are expecting any sort of fancy at my house and then get here and are disappointed because they donā€™t have granite counter space or a dishwasher in a kitchen that is not even advertised. Itā€™s so unfair of them to ding me on something thatā€™s really a bonus factor in the first place. It is sometimes hard to screen out the ones who claim they are easygoing and get here and turn out to be a nightmare.

Itā€™s just not worth their damn money if they get here and I know they arenā€™t happy and I stress out the whole time they are here. Just like with you, not worth the money if they are just after the kitchen. Like that girl who was on her way over with the spaghetti sauce and was not to be defeated in her attempts to cook. :slight_smile:

Actually, that screams false advertising. People who actually are easygoing wouldnā€™t think to mention it.

4 Likes

Sorry - not clear whether youā€™re replying to me. Iā€™ve never listed the kitchen as an amenity, but informally, if the guests seem reasonable, I let them use it. If they ARE reasonable, itā€™s never a problem, and some of our longer term guests are young people moving to Toronto - it would be unreasonable for me to forbid them from cooking.

The guests are fine. I pre-warned the daughter that the kitchen was not suitable for guest use - she checked with them, and that was fine, even though theyā€™ll be here two weeks. It was just me noticing that theyā€™re eating cold food in their room that had me feeling guilty and softening the policy a bit. The daughter was here this morning and said itā€™s okay, they donā€™t need the kitchen. As a reminder, we do offer a generous continental breakfast that we refresh daily. So that means they have a fridge, table and utensils that they can eat with. Also a toaster, coffee maker, and tea kettle. I wanted to put in a microwave, but discovered our wiring doesnā€™t support it. Technically, a microwave requires its own 15 Amp circuit. If Iā€™d known that, we wouldnā€™t have one in our kitchen!!

LOL!!! Thanks for that!