Offered to allow 2 year old to stay, which is against my policy

Offered to change my policy in order to allow a 3 year old to stay, but when they reserved the only reserved for 2 adults and didn’t include the child. I don’t allow under 6 years old per my house rules, etc, but they have to let me know when they are bringing anyone under 12. When I sent them the reservation change request including the child which would have added on an additional charge for a 3rd guest they declined the reservation! Which just goes to show when you make exceptions to your policies people want to take more advantage of you.

2 Likes

If you want to charge for infants you need to say this in your house rules.

A two year old is not an infant. 2 is the cutoff for airlines, lap babies need to be under two years old.

RR

2 Likes

OMGeee ~ a 2-yr. old?! You should be doing cartwheels. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I do, the issue is he knew it, agreed to it & then cancelled. This is just another case of guests trying to get something for nothing, after I agreed to change my rules for him.

2 Likes

Don’t EVER change your rules; you made them for a reason. Infants and toddlers cost money; water, wipes, nappies, poo, pee, disposal of said items. And if it’s a home share, they can cry, scream, yell and parents often leave this for you to deal with.

5 Likes

Lordy @RiverRock

It’s not just guests who don’t read is it :slight_smile:

@amywyo said “Offered to change my policy in order to allow it to year old to stay,”

A one year old is clearly under two. Under two’s stay for free with Airbnb unless you state otherwise in your house rules.

Ergo my initial advice was correct.

The post was titled “Offered to allow 2 year old to stay”. “it to year old” looks like a typo to me.

Helsi is correct that Airbnb doesn’t charge for ages <2, and you’d need to put that in your house rules (if you ever intend to break your own rules again!).

I personally think under 5 should pay twice as much. They’re 70% whirling dervishes of destruction and sociopathy at that age.

9 Likes

I read that, it was missing a word it seems. The heading of this thread says 2 year old.

Silly thing to argue about.

RR

5 Likes

My son is still like that and he’s 23 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

“Whirling dervishes…” … :grin:
Such an apt visual!

When I dictated my post it said “to” it was supposed to be two, Sandy Toes intuited what I meant. I reread the request & it was actually for a 3 year old, but that wasn’t my point regardless, it was you try to be accommodating and they want to take advantage by only paying for 2 adults instead of agreeing to my rules which clearly State if you & your spouse bring a child that is 3 people. Children including especially babies are people & we all know that children generally can make more of a mess to clean up.

2 Likes

I allow pets for a stated up front in more than one place $12 per pet per night fee. That’s on top of my reasonable $50 a night room. I’ve had multiple people ask, especially if they have more than one pet and then not book.

This forum advocates sticking by your rules. I don’t seem able to learn that lesson.

I think today may have done the trick.
(I accepted 3rd party booking from an adult on behalf of her parents in their 80’s. Yes-I know third party bookings are not allowed BUT if it was my father, I would’ve had to make his booking-he doesn’t use a computer.

Guest not happy that gate code didn’t work at 10:30. I wasn’t expecting anyone so I didn’t remotely open the gate when the code alerted. Check in time is 3:00 pm or later. There are guests still in the unit. The 3:00 pm check in time has been told to them in a phone conversation, in their Airbnb itinerary, in an email & in a check in instructions document).

Sounds like the OP for this thread has been “bitten” too by trying to be a little flexible.

2 Likes

I understand, I’ve been doing this for 4 years, and I keep trying to help people, I hope too that I have finally learned my lesson. Best wishes & hopefully you’ll get more understanding from posters than lectures.

1 Like

One of the problems with a 3rd party booking, aside from policy, is the communication thread. How can you message the guests? How do you assure the rules of the listing have been communicated to the person staying, etc. I’ve taken a couple of third party bookings that were fine but there’s little upside to doing so since I can almost certainly get another booking for the same date that’s not third party. And if I don’t, I can certainly use the day off.

1 Like

There is a certain group of parents in society who think their children :baby: are entitled to travel and stay for free and take up entire cafes with ‘prams’ bigger than an A380; you will often recognise them bringing children to your dinner party or wedding without notice or at fresh food markets on weekends with small aisles with a baby, toddler, aforementioned A380 pram with a dog on a lead attached.

Delete. Be glad they didn’t stay

2 Likes

I’ve never had a review from a 3rd party booking either which is annoying as these are guests I have gone above and beyond for, including one pair I dropped at their 9pm theatre performance every night for a week. Their agent never bothered to leave a review, the guests broke some things and hid them, and so I made it clear I won’t take his clients again. I won’t do any 3rd party anymore and received abuse from those attempting to book I have refused. I figure if you can’t use the internet to book you should probably be at a hotel with more professional support and facilities anyway. I’m just a one woman show and don’t need the headaches. Meh

3 Likes

You are right - don’t know why you decided to argue with my initial post???

I never said a two-year was an infant in my initial response. Just that if you want to charge for infants you needed to say so in your house rules.

3rd party request from a local, for her aunt, her aunts daughter, and their partners. I replied by asking if one of the guests could book, as then they would get the email info, and I’d get to review the actual guests after the stay.
“no, I’m paying, as none of us have done airbnb before, and they’re all on holiday at the moment”

Do I just say no? If I click the decline option of the enquiry, does it go against me?