Odd situation, seeking advice

Wow, a nursing conspiracy! New to me (but I do not regularly watch F News or Breitbart, so I am ‘uninformed’ of this). Care to cite your source for these percentages and allegations? If 80% of nurses fail their courses, this is a BIG deal… and so is ‘buying’ a certification…

PS saying ‘google it’ is not research…

1 Like

How about the Department of Justice regarding the topic & what they’ve been able to do about it?
The only thing I’m wrong about is that the amount is greater. These are nurses who did not complete the school but to get certified they had to take the NCLEX for their certification. Their pass is about 20%. So take 20% who didn’t go to school, somehow passed an exam are out there committing fraud.

Btw, I’m a full on liberal (vaxxed, boosted, and masked too) who doesn’t pay attention to the right wing propaganda if that even matters considering politics is the first thing you want to sling around.

Also from Miami:

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/article271590422.html

Edited to add all the states taking action so far with more to come as they find out

This is one case. Not all nurses. And in Florida, so there is that lol.

I am sort of on a mission to stop folks from saying percentages or ‘facts’ without proof. In your case you said something about

But it is not every nurse, or every certification. The ‘alternate facts’ are not acceptable. You intimated it was a huge fraud but it is only a small subset of the over 4.3 MILLION registered nurses in the US. It denigrates nursing to imply that buying acreddation etc is rampant.

Oh, here is my proof:

https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/workforce/

Not trying to debate, just trying to maintain perspective,

2 Likes

You could quote murder statistics and the fact that a certein percent is small compared to the grand scope of things negates the fact that it isn’t a current problem. The same was said when covid was rampant. You still do your best to be vigilant. Nobody wants a doctor who didn’t attain their credentials legitimately.
All I am saying is not all nurses are an issue but to assume that aren’t is negligent (if coming up with an excuse for being erratic or forgetful).

1 Like

While I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt, as we all screw up sometimes, I’d have to agree that this guest getting her booking date wrong, not once, but twice, doesn’t warrant a “maybe she’s just tired”.

Sure, nurses work long hours, and are often tired, but so do lots of people in other professions.

I’d be concerned that if she can’t even pay attention to her booking dates, she’s not going to pay attention to your house rules, appliance usage instructions, will go out all day to work leaving the heat blasting and all the lights on, etc.

3 Likes

Not only would I not assume that she’s “just tired” but I’d go further and say it isn’t relevant whether or not she’s tired. She is acting weird and being a pain in the ass. I wouldn’t host her.

I think you meant to reply to @lauras0323. She’s the one with the guest that is acting wacky, not me. I certainly wouldn’t keep dealing with that person based on her behavior alone.

I was only pointing out that there was no reason for lauras0323 to spend time and money on doing a background check on her because it would not provide her any further information than she already has about this person.

The most important information she has about this woman is her behavior so who cares if she’s actually a nurse or not. There is absolutely nothing about being a nurse that makes someone a better guest or tenant than if they weren’t a nurse. Honestly, I would say it is the opposite.

I’ve spent 33 years working with nurses and have friends that are nurses but I can tell you that, overall, they are not an ideal group to get guests and tenants from. If anything they should be held to more scrutiny, not less. Nonetheless, there is still no reason to do a criminal background check on them if they have a license. That is all I was saying.

3 Likes

There was not even a hint of conspiracy. It was one small example of why people shouldn’t trust someone merely because they’re a nurse.

If there’s any conspiracy at all it is that you should give someone more credit than is due merely because they’re a nurse.

Just because someone does a job that you can’t imagine doing doesn’t mean they’re a saint or even a decent human being. It only means you can’t imagine doing that job. And that’s probably because you don’t know how much money you could make doing it :wink:

I’ve worked in healthcare for over 30 years, primarily in nursing homes, and during that time I’ve had hundreds of people say to me, “Oh, I could never do your job”. I always wonder if they’d feel differently if they knew I was making six figures, lol.

I’ve always loved being around old people since I was a kid and I also like being useful so I do like my job and I’m really good at it, but most people I’ve worked with don’t like their jobs at all (and aren’t very good at them either). They are not there because they are special people. They are there for the same reason that people go to other jobs: compensation.

There are lots of decent people in healthcare, but no more than there are in any other profession. If they are an exceptional person it is just a coincidence, it is not inherently true of people who work in healthcare. It’s true that we should all be grateful that nurses go to work but it’s foolish to think they are different than other people who go to work.

4 Likes

Yes, exactly.

My youngest daughter runs her own licensed Montessori pre-school. Not only does she teach 8 children 5 days a week, she cleans the facility herself, has to file reports with the Montessori association, communicate with the parents. When she’s not at school, she is doing lesson planning in the evenings and weekends, her bookkeeping, has her own 3 year old to look after, and of course her normal housework. A couple of times this winter and last, she had to spend 45 minutes digging her car out of the snow before leaving for work. Her husband works out of town a lot, so she often has no help with anything. She also was in her late 30s when my granddaughter was born, so she isn’t some 20 year old with boundless energy.

She is always complaining about how tired she is. Would that excuse her from getting an str booking date wrong, not once, but twice? I don’t think so.

Wow…let’s wind back here! I think in this forum we are really asking - what would fellow hosts do in my position? Sometimes trying to discern between what is an accurate gut feeling and what is an inexperienced airbnb user is challenging. Acting on your gut is important so I try to ask a few more questions. Requesting to book outside the platform can be a red flag but with a repeat booking considering they are paying another 30%-35% on top of what you’re getting, it’s not surprising they give it a try - but “no” is easy. But the rest of the craziness (why would she turn around and go home if she was coming to work where you live?); saying the app wouldn’t let her book for 2 nights, arriving on the wrong day - that kind of thing is certainly cause for concern. I would write her and say you are open to hosting her if she wants to pre-book the dates through airbnb but that all the date confusion is very concerning to you and that you are needing to ascertain if there is any risk to hosting her. I find that if I have doubts more communication (and being respectfully direct) can quickly shed light on whether this is a comfortable enough situation.

1 Like

To circle back on this, everything turned out fine. She stayed my place and was a great guest. I’m having her back for another visit. It all ended well…

3 Likes

That’s great! But, what was with her odd challenge with dates? Did it come up?

1 Like

That’s a great question. It did come up and she said she was just really tired. I’m going to accept that. She didn’t appear to have any obvious drug problems or something? And to be honest as long as she pays and obeys the rules, it’s not my job to try to figure out why a person would be so confused about dates. I was just worried she was trying to scam me somehow. Since she wanted to go outside the app initially

3 Likes

The host said the guest lived an hour away, but had a gig at the local hospital. The guest was likely trying to avoid having a 2 hr. commute to work and back, would be my guess. I could easily see doing that if I were a nurse working 12 hr. shifts.

The trouble with people is - and there’s a grandiose start to a sentence if ever there was one - that we all think we’re perfectly normal and anyone who acts differently is odd or weird or strange.

I think I’m perfectly normal but other people might think I’m off-the-scale nuts and vice versa.

So when our guests do strange things that we wouldn’t do such as mixing up dates, asking for receipts, moving all the furniture around and all that odd behaviour that we find so bizarre, it all seems perfectly normal to them.

:crazy_face:

2 Likes