Now seeing airbnb from the guest side

NO WAY would I have stayed there! Disgusting! I was eating lunch while reading this post and now I feel sick! I would have looked around and called airbnb and made them find me another pet friendly place. Send airbnb pics as they are constantly reminding us to be even more diligent in cleanliness due to Covid-19. Airbnb has paid for my hotel rooms more than once when I discovered a listing was not what it said it was.

5 Likes

That is NASTY. I would never stay there.

To update everyone… the listings are now shut down.

I’m getting the impression the only listings still operating during the pandemic are operated by people with questionable character.

That’s rather a strange assumption. @searchedtobelost

It is now legal in many countries to offer STR (with restrictions).

Whether pre covid or post covid as a host you know it’s about choosing a listing that works for you in terms of amenities, budget, location etc, reading the description thoroughly and asking any questions you need to before you book to ensure a good fit.

I do understand it is difficult when places have glowing reviews but are appalling, however you choose to stay in this place for a week before complaining.

I am not sure of why you need to be travelling at the moment and therefore how location sensitive you need to be, but prices are down in many areas and with amazing dog friendly hosts like @KKC I find it hard to believe you can’t find a decent, clean property within your budget.

1 Like

The USA is large. I am travelling for relocation for work. There are many areas of the USA that have very few hosts and listings. I have contacted hosts, and they say they are not booking due to covid19 so I ask them to please block off their listing. So even while it looks like there are options to choose from, many don’t have any reviews past December/January.

I’m beginning to see how low standards are!

After the hotel I drove to my next booking… $101 per night, pandemic level cleaning option for the listing, $40 cleaning fee, $50 in fees and taxes… and they didn’t clean the unit before I arrived! Floors dirty, hairs in tub, on toilets, sink, and floor. Mold on bathroom ceiling. Grime on surfaces. Woke up, flipped my pillow, and it smells like cologne!

I think pet friendly listings must have something to do with it. Considering only 5 to 15% of listings allow pets.

Total joke that they say they sanitize between guests. It’s all smoke and mirrors.

1 Like

@searchedtobelost Gosh you are not having any luck aren’t you. This thread is turning into a bit a page turner. What adventure is around the corner? How will @searchedtobelost deal with the next challenge? Find out in our next episode of “AirBnB’s Gone Wild”.

But on a more serious note: how many reviews does your current AirBnB that you are staying at have? What’s the average score? What is the average score of cleanliness levels? Would be good to know how low standards actually are when it comes to listing and cleanliness averages.

2 Likes

I’m at a place where the hosts are superhosts and allow pets.

Here is their 4.9 cleanliness entire apartment with extra special covid cleaning! https://photos.app.goo.gl/LyWxeVDgRrGBiFZW6

Edit: I included some screenshots of the video I took so you can see the mold!

Edit 2: 4.86 with 277 reviews.

Edit 3: pandemic cleaning means sanitizing the vacuum after each cleaning. You can see the dust on the outside of the vacuum. So these hosts are saying they are doing the deep clean… but it’s total BS. Not following the rules at all.

As far as the Covid clean… I was wondering how that was going to be checked/ enforced…

The current place you are staying at looks more rustic than it looks actually dirty. I mean, it’s a pretty big improvement on your last stay. Of course, once you get the camera out and get very close to the ground, and with that strong flash light, it doesn’t look amazing but you could probably find dust balls in some of the finest and most expensive hotels if you looked hard enough.

1 Like

It is rustic. With a heavy coating of hair and grime. I’m all for rustic minus the mold, hair, and grime!

I stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn just yesterday. Paid $95 per night. Had zero hairs anywhere. Had zero grime.

This place is $101 per night. Hair and grime everywhere.

1 Like

Floor was vacuumed right before I took these photos. I didn’t get photos of all the hair and dirt on the hardwoods.

Maybe go back to the Hilton?

I’m driving back now, so in a different town. Wish I could.

1 Like

I beg to differ - I’m open, and my apartment is truly spotless and thoroughly cleaned between guests; the same is true of the vast majority of hosts here. I am hosting mostly grandparents coming to see grandkids and one gentleman in town because his father is in hospice here. Sometimes people just need a place to stay, and I am happy to provide a clean and private option.

4 Likes

I’ll be open soon and there are also many hosts here that have had good reviews for years.

I’ve never had a problem finding an acceptable Airbnb from coast to coast. I’m completely mystified by the OPs situation.

Being pet-friendly is no excuse for offering unclean and/or poorly maintained accommodations. Because we travel with pets, our listings are pet friendly and this doesn’t lower the standard. For the sake of all guests we have tried to furnish our places without too much clutter and using easily maintained surfaces, and we also have high standards of cleanliness. I agree you should write an accurate review.

1 Like

Wow. 4 stars is extremely generous. I’d give 2 at the most. ugh.

5 Likes

I would say maybe don’t travel with pets?

I just picked up my useless rat terrier from the kennel, it cost $110 for 5 nights. It was worth it to me, although I told him (the rat terrier) that I could get a whole new dog for that and he was lucky to be coming home. He just wagged his tail. Silly dog

9 Likes