Nosy Guests trying to break into locked doors

This is incredible.

First you need to accept that Airbnb is a booking and payment platform. Don’t expect anything else. If you have rules you have to enforce them. Airbnb doesn’t have the means to do this and you have to make some effort.

Case in point: one would think that if every guest for 3 months was a problem then the host or manager would be checking the cameras all the time.

Think about it from Airbnb’s point of view. Are they just going to let you keep using their platform and making all these claims? Or are they just going to suspend you and save themselves a lot of trouble?

4 Likes

I do have rules with additional fees that airbnb claims they uphold but how do I collect when Airbnb refuses to allow me to collect. Go there and demand they give me their wallets??

You know KKC Airbnb customer service literally gets paid to handle customer service and I don’t think it’s to much to ask to allow hosts to collect the deposit for damages and thefts. It doesn’t cost Airbnb anything to do so. But maybe your right if it’s to much hassle for them to do their jobs maybe they shouldn’t be required to. Maybe I’ll try that tomorrow too. I’ll just go in and say I don’t feel like dealing with the hassle of doing my job so I’m going to sit here and get paid to do nothing. or you could offer up a helpful suggestion instead of vague scripted Airbnb responses. allowing guests to get away with this behavior and blaming host only encourages it more. They know there are no consequences so why not loot rentals.

Suggestions offered in the forum are from your fellow hosts, and are not Airbnb responses.

Unfortunately, Airbnb is “doing their job.” Maximizing ROI for their owners, now a large population of stockholders since their IPO.

Airbnb is a platform to get guests to hosts for a fee. Any damage coverage they provide hosts is intended to encourage hosts to list and remain with the platform, and is limited by the terms of service to which the host agrees by listing.

Their analysis as a business leads them to support guests’ continued and repeated bookings. They have made a calculation as to how much host complaint time/effort and host compensation is cost beneficial within their operations and responsive to negative PR.

Hosts have the option to list on other platforms or pursue bookings directly, thus the oft-repeated advice here not to put all your host eggs in the Airbnb basket if possible.

Hosts have been successful getting damage compensation from Airbnb and there are lots of tips on the forum on getting through to Airbnb and also on ways hosts can head off problems before they happen.

Anyone can have a run of bad luck, and there are scammers out there that target STRs. But if a listing seems to continuously attract bad guests, it’s worth trying to figure out if there’s a common denominator or something that can be changed about the listing, the host rules/policies and the host response.

Some hosts post a link to their listing asking for comments, and forum members are happy to make suggestions. Some of the suggestions can be tough criticism or contradictory; take what makes sense and leave the rest.

2 Likes

Many hosts work for airbnb customers service. I suspect many that blame hosts are those. Either way I will no longer host on Airbnb. I am using a management company that requires guests to sign damages clauses and pays damages and theft claims immediately fro. There account and recoups from guests later or Sue’s them if need be. I would recommend all hosts look I to such options and stop using deceiving sites like airbnb. Although I’m still considering using airbnb as a guest. I do need a new livingroom set and tvs. I might book an airbnb and uhaul truck for the weekend. No consequences

I have never heard that before, I wish it were true. Imagine a CS agent who actually knew the terms of service and understood what it takes to be a good host. If only…

RR

5 Likes

Is that the Ambassador’s thing I was invited to?
I declined to join. All I could see was spreading the Koolaid, being powerless to actually doing anything and not being paid for my time. My hourly rate is $150!

3 Likes

But that assumes that those hosts actually do read and know the TOS and do know what it really takes to be a good host… lol. My guess is that those are only a small majority, if a majority at all.

1 Like

Tip. To get someone’s attention or reference their ID & place @.

Like @kkc will notify her she’s been referenced or received a response

1 Like

Terrible response @Invisibleman . airbnb don’t advertise it but they have an arbitration system where you can pay a few hundred to have an appeal independently assessed . You get money back if your successful.

What did your own STR insurance say - are they considering the claim?

My home is recently appraised at 1.5 million I’ve been offering stays at 250 dollars a night single room hotels in this area are going for 700 a night. I wanted to offer a an affordable nice stay for people who couldn’t afford it otherwise. I guess it really is my fault for believing in people.

There are alot of hosts that support Airbnb and blame other hosts. but if that system is so effective Nd you really support it post a link to your listing

So your product is an entire house that seems to be relatively large, with hot tub and game equipment (you mention skeeball and basketball). Your low price and types of amenities are attracting people who are looking for a cheap place to throw a big party rather than just your target demographic.

A stay for a population of responsible, nice people who need budget accommodations could be clean but low amenity, maybe single room or modest family accommodations.

Therefore, your product doesn’t fit with your mission statement, and your vision of grateful, respectful, pleasant guests who need to stretch their dollars isn’t happening.

Raise your rates to be commensurate with your competition, and if you wish donate part of your net to youth travel organizations, groups that provide free travel for veterans, or other charities consistent with your generous impulses. Or offer comped stays to those types of charitable organizations for their clients (although that is less tax advantageous in the U.S. anyway).

6 Likes

??? I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

But aside from that, I have never noticed any Airbnb cheerleader hosts on this forum. Most here are pragmatic- we know that we shouldn’t depend on Airbnb for support, that it’s essentially just a listing and booking service, know that if a listing is attracting consistently bad guests, that the host needs to change something about the listing and/or the vetting process. Your idea that you can just keep having house trashing guests and make damage claim after damage claim for every booking is bizarre.

3 Likes

Even sappy me isn’t this altruistic

Raise your rates. Get your proper clientele. This is a business.

5 Likes

This is gibberish post. Yes, I’m sure there are many hosts that “support” Airbnb. But mostly those of us accused of supporting Airbnb are simply being realistic about what Airbnb does. We also realizes that Airbnb sees the guest as the customer more than the host. Once we have to pay all the fees out of our side then maybe Airbnb will treat us better.

I’ve posted a link to my listing dozens of times. That has nothing to do with the rest of this post which is remarkable in it’s ability to cram so much baloney into two sentences.

I’ve been thinking about this. You aren’t happy doing rentals. You are tired & frustrated. You can always sell.

I know there will be a time in my life, I’m not up to managing the rentals. When that time comes, I’m either contracting with a management company or selling.

2 Likes

Amazing what people believe after seeing such garbage on some FB forum, or was it the Airbnb community forum?
:rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, I think they’re classified as Ambassadors.

:roll_eyes:

JF

I mostly just eat damages costs. I’ve made 2 claims in the past year when things got really bad and Airbnb didn’t honor either. Would you be ok with guests trashing your place and just say ok. We have deposits for a reason not being allowed to collect on them is ridiculous. I see thousands of people having the same problem. is there really anyone who isn’t