Noob host: Guest keeps demanding stuff - please advise

You girls are very funny :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Whatever that “swag” means…

1 Like

I think it’s short for “swagger” - a tough and powerful attitude.

But I may be wrong…

SWAG is an old “jazzer” term, to mean stuff you took or were given at a club, etc. SWAG is short for See What I got. There is a less polite version, but this is an open forum and there could be children reading!

To swagger is something else again. John Wayne perfected the swagger anytime he was a guy in the Old Wild West.

4 Likes

Update: All is good, never heard from him yesterday and today.
What I’m worried about: They will leave on May 22 at 6 AM as I mentioned earlier. Now I’ve provided 6 additional towels on day 1. When I’m there receiving the keys I want to check everything is in place, specially the towels.
I’m thinking to go like “hey, were the towels enough?” and then start looking for them.
I also have brand new glasses, cups, forks, knives, a hair dryer, the iron.

So how would you go about checking all these are there and they didn’t attempt to siphon off something to make up for the 1 additional night they paid?

I don’t have a rental where I check guests out on departure but if I was in your shoes, this is how I might handle it. (BTW, are they expecting you to be there when they check out at 6 am?! Seems like an awkward time to meet.)

I would thank them and express that I hoped they enjoyed their stay and add: “If you give you a minute, I’ll take a quick look-see through the house to make sure I don’t have any questions.”

Or two :blush:

…

1 Like

Or make like you are checking to make sure they didn’t leave anything behind like chargers, socks under the bed etc… while doing the towel etc counts!

2 Likes

That’s amazing Yana. I had a guest complain I didn’t have dish cloths and gave me a 4 star and said if there were dish cloths, it would have been 5. I was annoyed beyond anything because this woman is also one who couldn’t get her reservation right, wanted to make changes over 5 times, can’t find the location even though I emailed her the address many times an texted her and she still ended up somewhere else? I’ve never had a guest who couldn’t find the house since it’s a pretty easy place and straight forward. She also didn’t know how to work the TV and said our volume broke but it’s a new TV. Then told me the laundry washer is broken when it’s NEW but she broke it and goes and says it’s a 4 star place??? For dish cloths? I really hate Airbnb for allowing dumb guests to post all the time their self-important image like the whole world is supposed to serve them.

3 Likes

Also Yana, have you ever had someone damage something and was successful getting Airbnb to pay you for the damages? One guest BROKE a closet, stole a comforter, and plugged the sink, denied everything. I use a third party cleaner who documents everything, takes inventory counts and has pictures before and after each guest stay. Sent all the proof to Airbnb and they denied the damage claim??? Kept sending me standardized emails saying I didn’t give them receipts but I sent it to them over a dozen times. I feel like no one at Airbnb really does damage claims and no one gets compensated for damage claims. Have you had experience there?

1 Like

This!
I was just thinking about this during my shower :smile:

How could she break laundry machine?

She overloaded it. I have a washer/dryer in one and posted instructions
very clearly on there. Please load only 70% full. We installed the laundry
machine only one month ago, brand new from costco. It beats me how she can
break a machine but it shows that people abuse things when it’s not their
home because they feel they don’t need to fix it.

Thank goodness for Costco’s fabulous return policy.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s why I went with Costco. Got it swapped out for a new one. But after years of doing this, hosted hundreds of guests, I always get these super annoying ones and I find Airbnb is the WORST at protecting the host. Homeaway on the other hand is phenomenal…

Delist from Airbnb and only book through Homeaway. Problem solved.

1 Like

So what did you want your guest to pay for if you got a new machine at no cost? It is rather unbelievable that they put in too much stuff… I wonder. Could you find a box that has the same capacity as the washer so that in the future they can test the quantity by seeing if their stuff will fit in the box? Kind of like the suitcase testers at an airport gate.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I believe that there is a downside to increasingly commonplace extremely liberal return policies (Costco, Trader Joe’s, Bed, Bath & Beyond). I believe that this is training consumers to take no responsibility for researching their purchases. I think this spurs Airbnb guests to believe that they are entitled to full refunds for any reason they present regardless of the listing’s refund policy.

1 Like

Hahaha
Showers are wonderful for moments of contemplation, deep thoughts and problem solving !!!

1 Like

That’s either a coincidence, or a TBBT reference…

1 Like

I think the acronym means ‘Stuff We All Get’. At least in the radio industry, that’s what it stands for. :slightly_smiling_face: