No pets, please!

And diabetes took my sister’s life so I also know. I’m not trying to have a pissing contest.

I got the answer to my question.

There are ooodles of lovely pics on-line.

Ugh our building has a no pets policy. The last guest who messaged me about her dog before she booked, I warned her that pets have been an issue lately and that the neighbors will call the police (small town)- I certainly did not want to ruin her vacation with multiple visits from the property mgmt company and/or police. She booked elsewhere.

I defer to ADA guidelines when it comes to accommodating people with disabilities. They are the final word.

So your are in the US.

And presumably you do not list on AirBnB.

LOL. What makes you think that?

Being in breach of AirBnB’s non discrimination policy?

You mentioned that before and Bunny ignored it. He or she hosts in the US on Airbnb. It appears that they don’t really care about the non-discrimination policy or about people using assistance animals based on their dismissive and demeaning use of language about such matters. Eventually maybe someone will try to book with them, be denied and report them to Airbnb.

1 Like

The reality is you can say what you like on your listing, you could say for example 'No Irish"

[Offending image removed by moderator]

And it will not be an issue until somebody makes it one, how long that will be is anybody’s guess.

Not at all @Como. There are exemptions for those who share their homes and have pet allergies.

The reality is @Como it’s highly unlikely that any host would post the offensive poster you have posted here on their listing, when they are listing on a platform committed to diversity.

It doesn’t matter whether people are able to say what they like. The vast majority wouldn’t because either they want to continue making money from the platform, or because like me they would find it highly offensive or both.

In fact I am not sure why you posted it here. You could have just used the words in inverted commas.

This whole discussion has me thinking. Airbnb has given me the option of being pet-free. Must I further qualify the reason? It’s in my narrative, but nothing official. I can’t have a pet in my tiny little house in my tiny little guest quarters, service dog or not. I’m terribly allergic and I assume some guests chose my property b/c we’re pet-free. It’s certainly my first priority when traveling. Same for my little cabin outback, where we sometimes sleep when we have a big family gathering. I just wonder at the plethora of pet-friendly properties in our area (WNC where you can take dogs everywhere), why guests who travel with pets dont make that a priority in their search. Never mind…I can already read your minds.

You know the answer don’t you @Callmescout…altogether now . 'it’s because they don’t read :slight_smile:

Or they do read and know that if they say they have a service dogs, hosts can’t turn them down (unless you are listing a room in your home and have another dog or have allergies).

1 Like

You really can’t. Even the Mrs. Murphy exemptions to FHA don’t allow you to advertise your preferences.

https://fairhousing.foxrothschild.com/2010/06/articles/fha-basics/the-mrs-murphy-exemption-to-the-fair-housing-act/

1 Like

I personally find this deeply offensive. Where the bloody hell did you find it? Are you mocking our awful post war 1950’s history in the UK.

@Joan. Sadly, these signs were found all of the Northeast of the United States following the great immigration of Irish nationals during the potato famine. It was offensive, though legal, then an is equally offensive now. Substitute all kinds of new immigrants for Irish and every one of them could be found on signs.

Of course, that doesn’t even begin to address the exclusion of former slaves and their descendants from the job market. That was not exclusively a Northeast issue however.

1 Like

This is all pretty raw here at the moment, not just historically. The dreadful, awful stories that The Guardian are uncovering ( a tribute to journalist Amelia Gentleman) with our current Government’s “Hostile” immigration policies, targeting people who have lived, worked, contributed to society for 30,40,50 years, particularly people who were invited over to help rebuild the country post war and including The Windrush generation. If I am honest, I am ashamed to be British at the moment. I have applied for an Irish passport under the aegis of my father being Irish, born before partition.

2 Likes

So do I @Joan and I have asked the mods to remove it. Would s/he I wonder have posted a poster that said ‘Blacks need not apply’??

There was absolutely no reason for @Como to post the image of the offensive poster.

As I said in an earlier post s/he could have their point without the poster.

1 Like

Ah @Joan I’ve only ever had an Irish passport and I was born in London :slight_smile:

Definitely the way to go particularly with Brexit.

Amelia a great freelance journalist @Joan, who writes about social issues, health and housing for a number of the nationals.