Next Year's Big Plan!

Sheesh, you being touchy! I was only strengthening your argument. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your ideas … the husband suspects that my desire to redo the top flat is more for my obsession with décor than with making more money. He could be right!

@anon67190644, I also think it would improve the occupancy rate and I’ve seen some good new “mini-kitchens” . One thing I hadn’t factored in was venting (as @Maggieroni mentioned) so maybe I should investigate toaster ovens which I don’t know much about (are they combi microwaves?) I don’t mind cleaning ovens as long as they’re not mine, and the downstairs apartment has a full one but it’s hardly ever used.
@GutHend , I think that’s what we’ll probably end up doing. In fact we do offer breakfasts to the self-catering people in the flat which is taken up occasionally if they want to treat themselves. And we sometimes offer the “breakfast fairy” route when people in the apartment have arrived late at night and don’t have time to shop.

I did see the Ikea one yesterday, but though it was cheap and I liked the idea I thought the design really ugly - though the portable induction hob is brilliant and was selling fast!

I also saw some good ones on Amazon, but quite expensive. Our builder/handyman thinks we could put something similar together with ready-made units.

Back to the drawing board then … and please, anyone who has a mini-kitchen, I’d like to see pictures … Karma?

1 Like

Great pic @GutHend

I so wish I could set this up in my guest room - but I can’t get the plumbing through!
Besides the room is carpeted.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the thing I meant - microwave/convection oven - I’d forgotten what they were called! I absolutely agree about the cookware … I tend to be an over- rather than under-provider when it comes to kitchen equipment!

1 Like

I have to say, without a cooktop, this is not a kitchen and couldn’t be selected as an amenity. I don’t see how this enhances the listing, to be honest. Right now, the guests get a meal prepared by @Malagachica, and now they won’t even be about to cook an egg.

My kid, millennial to the core, would never book a place that just provides a microwave as a way to cook. Actually, if the cost was not higher and the location was good, she would, but not because of the not-even-a-kitchenette, but in spite of it. If this about increasing occupancy, an IKEA unit such as the one posted above isn’t going to do that.

@Astaire

(Hey, don’t be getting mopey on me…I had errands to do so I had to “get off the bus”.)

1 Like

Ah that’s alright then :slight_smile: :beer::beer: :slight_smile:

If you were referring to my picture, the kitchenette in the picture does have a cooktop showing (induction, 1 burner). It is sold separately by Ikea, and you can hang it on the rack when not using it.
We, in our rental apartment, also have a tiny kitchen. We have 1 induction burner, a microwave, a vapor cooker and very little workspace. I bought a second cooktop from Ikea in Europe and brought it here, but in fact we have never used it. We live here, we are not on vacation. Still our setup allows me to make wonderful meals, although due to logistics cooking does take a bit more time than in a full kitchen, and of course without an oven not everything is possible.

BTW… An egg can easily be cooked in a microwave. We even do it for our guests, because I hate cleaning pans that are full of sticky egg. (Still need to buy a non-stick pan.)

1 Like

Ikea used to have a kitchenette inside a cabinet. That was really nice, and if you want the kitchen out of sight you just have to close it. There are readymade kitchenettes like that that you can just buy and have built in into a cabinet of your style.
ikea

1 Like

How can you make a fried or poached egg in a microwave? Heck, even a scrambled egg!

I thought what you’d see after tossing eggs into the microwave and hitting the button would be a big scrambled mess?

Poached egg is cinchy. Just poke a teeny hole in the yoke, add about a tsp. of water, cover and cook for about 30-45 secs. depending on the size of the egg.

Scrambled is even easier and comes out very fluffy. Butter a small bowl, put your mixed up egg in it and cook it at about 5-10 sec. intervals, giving it a stir each time. It cooks from the perimeter in, so the middle needs to be stirred toward the outside.

S&P to taste of course.

2 Likes

Well we take a small pot, put a bit of oil on the bottom and sides, put in the egg, cover with plastic foil and put in the microwave for 2 minutes. You can do a whole egg or mix the egg beforehand with some very tiny sliced onion and small cubes of tomato. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Be creative and add other things like cheese.

I guess theoretically these eggs are neither scrambled, poached or fried: Let’s call them microwave eggs :blush:.

Scrambled eggs shouldn’t really be fluffy. They should be soft and slightly stirred over very low heat. However, I will try this just to see what the results are.

@GutHend. Yes. poached means out of the shell surrounded by a liquid. Scrambled means scrambled as cooked.

I am willing to try the egg-a-la-microwave, but would never be willing to rent a non-shared space without at least a cooktop.

I agree that without a least 1 burner, it’s hard the call something a kitchen :neutral_face:.

There are vents that have a charcoal filter, my new one is like this and it doesn’t need complicated installation, my oven is rarely used, I have. 24 inch stove.

I have only booked three Airbnb all whole house becuase that is what I want. We have two listings. One a farm stay with no electricity apart from solar. Has fridge, BBQ, wood fired pizza, wood fired BBQ, gas cook top. The other a granny flat has microwave, toaster, kettle, electric frying pan, toaster cooker. So far no problems.

I always microwave my scrambled eggs. They will fluff way up bul then fall after you take them out. Experiment and don’t overcook it. Eggs are so easy to scramble in a skillet that I don’t know how much it improves the process.

I understand why a cook like yourself would want to book a proper kitchen but I wonder what percentage of travelers are like me and what percentage are like you?

@Malagachica you can always start small and add later if it hurts your bookings.

1 Like

Hard to know is the problem. Are these people:

going to want to “cook” in a microwave? If the goal is increased occupancy, by making the room more attractive than a suite with a served breakfast, will a microwave accomplish that goal? I guess I don’t think wanting to fry an egg for breakfast is a wild desire.