Newbie looking for management advice!

Hi there! I’m so sorry to post randomly on a thread but I’ve been trying for the last 45 min how to start a new post! My housekeeper cleans 2-3 days after a guest has been there. I initially blocked the remaining of a checkout day for Covid purposes so he’d have 24+ hours to clean after a guest. But 2-3 days after seems a bit much unless that’s normal. Is it? I’m worried about a guest leaving water running, heat on, a door opened/unlocked etc. Am I expecting too much to want to person to go to the house within 24 hours of the guest checking out? Thanks for any input!

The longer the better, but according to all I’ve read, the virus can hang in the air just from people’s breath for up to 3 hours, so 3 hours should be the bare minimum, and your cleaner should wear propèr protection. They don’t need to start cleaning then, but as you say, they should check that heat hasn’t been left turned up, doors unlocked, etc. and check around for any damages or missing items in case you have to file a claim.

No.

Our check out instructions to guests is that they open all windows and internal doors.

After 3hrs I put on a mask and have a quick check.

After 24hrs we turn it over ready for next guest, using PPE.

We have one day set post check out as a buffer day.

We are hosting in a city with a high infection rate, and our guests over the past few months have all been from Madrid, Barcelona and the Basque Country, themselves all major hotspots also.

So far, so good.

JF

The USA CDC says airborne particulate (germs) settle on surfaces within 24 hours. Catching Covid 19 from surfaces is rare.

Maybe consider a Heating/air conditioning filter that has a fine of weave as your system can handle so it can filter out air borne germs. (Tend to be more expensive but are designed to be changed every 90 days vs usual 30)

The mix of opening windows 3 hours & fans in to move air out, 24 hour wait, mask wearing, & hand cleaning should be as safe as you can be. If you can’t open the windows for 3 hours due to safety concerns or weather, wait 24 hours.

3 days is certainly safer but may be a bit excessive

1 Like

European CDC says 3hrs, as quoted by Airbnb. Just another case of “experts” saying two entirely different things.

Most definitely. Our guests have all complied with our check out instructions, and given the locations of the apartments within our building, weather and safety concerns don’t arise for us.

However, leaving all the windows open, in a standalone property in an urban environment, could be problematic. You need to adapt the advice to your own scenario.

JF

I’m skeptical of anything coming from the US CDC until the administration changes over and honest people are in charge.

Ok fine. The 24 hours is consistent with hospital protocols when a patient requiring airborne precautions is bedded in a room that is not a positive pressure room

1 Like