New York Law Update

For folks following the city’s Airbnb response from a safe distance… we’re going to be illegal in 179 days. (The mayor signed the anti Airbnb law yesterday)

I’m relieved (i was afraid it would be instant) and disappointed by not surprised. As long as we give the rich and powerful all the power, the rest of us will be penalized for trying to succeed/ thrive.

The meat of it (that affects our listings) is it will now be illegal to host more than 2 people at a time in your own home.

We have our main private room that holds 2, but last summer we started a second listing in our porch for one person.

It’s unclear whether children count in the whole “max 2” law. Since airbnb doesn’t count them, if a small family shows up thinking they’ll just squish, i could be put in the awkward position of saying “Sorry, no room at the inn” or being the object of a sting operation. Because they’ve been targeting any host who speaks out. Fun times.

There are a number of ways we could respond, and I’m glad we have a few months to decide.

Whatever we do, it will be either more work for less money, or just much less money.

I’m grateful this isn’t our primary income but i know it is for other hosts and i worry for them.

2 Likes

@Alia_Gee I’m probably trying to make a silk purse from a sow’s ear but I see some good things here.

First, as you said, you’ve got 6 months. In that time, other laws could be passed. And if not in the next 180 days, in the next year or two or three. So “the end” doesn’t necessarily mean the end. Second, there are going to be people who just drop out for one reason or another. Maybe they have to do something else with the property for financial reasons. So maybe you get a little more pricing power due to decreased competition. Third, have you considered taking on a roommate type tenant. People are always looking for affordable housing in NY.

Best of luck!

1 Like

The trouble with tenants is they have a need to use the kitchen. Airbnb allows people to keep their own space.

1 Like

Yeah, for most people. I was just specifically referring to Alia’s situtation in her Brooklyn home. Her airbnb guests share her kitchen and bathroom. Sorry I didn’t indicate my answer was addressed to her, not all NY airbnb hosts, editing now.

1 Like

No worries. Just thinking of ltr as a host disadvantage. Personally I would like to see authorities leave hosts alone if it’s in their own home.

1 Like

I just got an email from airbnb that they filed a lawsuit against the law, so that will be interesting. They’re just pushing back on the privacy part (where they would have to hand over our personal info to the police. I’m sure that would be used properly. Ha.), not the maximum number of guests (yet) but it definitely seems to be a fluid situation.

1 Like

Sorry i didn’t reply, we’re up to our eyeballs in high season.

We have considered a long term roommate, but it definitely is not our first choice. Once someone stays here for 30 days they can claim to be tenants and it takes 270 days to evict them. We can’t do that with a complete stranger, though we might with a friend of a friend.

We close the porch for the winter, anyway, so we’ll see if we miss the money more than we love the extra space to put the teenager. (He is a giant elbow attached to feet.)

If there are new updates on nyc law should i post them here or create a new thread?

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter. Some people prefer new threads, some old threads.

1 Like

Any details on how the recent ruling affected enforcement?