New review prompts for guests

:sweat_smile: First I’ve heard that, but know exactly what you mean and have done it myself!

I’ve only ever gotten confirmation type ones asking if there was a kitchen, as listed, was there a private entrance, those type of things.

I’m the same. I don’t really understand why others are bothered by the questions.

It doesn’t bother you that Airbnb actively encourages guests to find something wrong with the listing? You don’t find that to be disrespectful of hosts?

2 Likes

No, it doesn’t. I provide value for money, an honest listing and so I wouldn’t worry about the questions. “Did your host leave out cleaning supplies for you to use? Yes. No.” Why would that bother me?

I just had terrible guests, and was also dinged on my review with the word "photos " outlined. My photos are accurate.

We stayed at a place last month and went through this review form afterwards. I was very disturbed. It’s like Airbnb is making a slick, purposeful, effort to sabotage us hosts.

5 Likes

The issue isn’t whether you provide this or that and the guest is asked about it. The issue is, as @sunandsnow stated , that the company is actively trying to sabotage hosts.

It’s like people who say they don’t mind surveillance cameras because they have nothing to hide. Whether you have anything to hide isn’t the issue- invasion of privacy is.

1 Like

Sorry @muddy, we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. Some hosts will have a problem with it some won’t. It’s good that we’re all different. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The litany of negative options is disturbing. Like they are begging guests to find something, anything, bad about their stay. If someone were to review you, personally, would you want them to choose from a long list of negative options? Say I was a server in a restaurant, and my guests were given this list to choose from:
"how was your server today?
“Did he describe the specials accurately” would seem more benign than “Did he describe the specials inaccurately?”
Did he provide extra napkins? rather than- Did he fail to leave you extra napkins?
Were you satisfied with your meal, rather than- Did you experience significant issues with your meal?

9 Likes

Most of us here are pretty certain that we are on solid ground when it comes to these questions.

I’ve stayed at Airbnb rentals and wished that they had been removed from the platform because of their misleading listings or their lack of advertised amenities. If Airbnb removed listings because of bait and switch accommodation or lack of advertised amenities, that is good for me.

These questions sort out the men from the boys:

Was there anything unexpected about your stay?
Photos of this listing were inaccurate
The description of this listing on Airbnb was inaccurate
I experienced significant issues while checking into my listing
One or more amenities that were listed on Airbnb weren’t present or available for use
I had to pay an unexpected fee after checking in
There were unexpected people on site
I was moved to a different space than the one I booked
A lock was missing either on the entrance to the entire place OR to my private room

This could pose a problem for me, I do not allow use of the fireplace in the summer. I cannot remove it as an amenity because people who are booking for the cold months will be looking for a fireplace where I live. There is no good way for me to handle this other than putting the restrictions in my house rules. And yes, people want to use the fireplace in the summer. I tell them if the neighbors smell smoke in August they are likely to call the fire department!

RR

1 Like

This really isn’t about whether or not any of us will experience personal repercussions because of the wording of these questions. It’s about Airbnb’s blatant disrespect and disdain for its hosts by wording things in a way as to actively encourage complaints (and we all know how shy guests are about complaining, right? It’s not like they need encouragement, they’ve figured that out quite nicely on their own).

As if the only reason a host would provide a quality product is so no one would complain. Whereas I think the majority of hosts provide a quality service and product because they take pride in what they do and like to do the best job possible no matter what it is they are doing, regardless of whether it has to do with hosting.

And what Airbnb has done here flies in the face of what any psychologist will tell you. The best way to effect behavior modification or teach, whether you are training a dog or civilizing a child, is to praise and reward good behavior as opposed to punishing bad behavior. The former leads to wanting to repeat those actions that were positive and being open to understanding why those behaviors are considered to be worth striving for, the latter may effect change, but fear of punishment is the motivating factor (and can lead to long-lasting emotional trauma), rather than wanting to be good.

@jaquo But you could have reported to Airbnb those places you stayed that you felt should be delisted, why should it require a negatively worded review form?

3 Likes

Exactly… I find fishing for negative feedback appalling. I am really worried that AirBnB suddenly became 85% of our bookings after COVID when before they were always no more than about 15%.

Before COVID, I was a regular for the Sunday senior brunch buffet at a local hotel dining room. In order to get a free birthday meal, I joined their “club”, which also emails coupons for free appetizers occasionally.

Lately, they’ve taken to emailing prompts for me to review my server after each meal, and they ask some of these types of questions. My answer, having worked as a waiter, bartender, and taxi driver, is to ask the server, since my tip is my review. :wink:

1 Like

Especially right now, except that you smell it everywhere.

I guess it depends on what is done with the information. Am I right in thinking these questions are AFTER guests have written their review? I’d have a of problem with the cleaning materials question. I run a traditional BnB, i.e. we live on site, provide breakfast and the guests have bedrooms. I clean their rooms and bathrooms, I don’t expect guests to do so and therefore do not provide cleaning materials. So, if their answer is No, not provided, what is the actual effect on the review? We are in Spain, and do provide disinfectant wipes and sprays, and, in case guests do not have them, packaged face masks, as these are compulsory outdoors at all times here.

1 Like

I don’t think that anyone here knows what they do with the info. But it does weed out some of the ‘landlord-in-it-for-the-money-only’ hosts. I’m perfectly happy that Airbnb want to weed out hosts who have inaccurate photographs, switch guests to other places, charged extra fees etc,

PS. When I had a b&b type operation in the UK, I’d always leave cleaning materials in the cupboard under the bathroom sink. That way, if a guest had some mishap in their room, the stuff was there to deal with it.

I did. I wrote honest reviews and reported them also.

1 Like

The insipid nature of the questions is so revolting. Designed to prompt a negative response repeatedly asking negative questions.

2 Likes