New Regulations in Scotland: Coronavirus

The Scottish Government have enacted new regulations on Coronavirus. These are known as the The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions) (Scotland) Regulations 2020. The regulations remain in force during an “emergency period” until they’re withdrawn. This will be reviewed every 21 days.

Specific reference is made to all forms of holiday accomodation:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/103/regulation/4/made

This prohibits any form of holiday accommodation (including STR) except for the following people/cases:

(5) A person referred to in paragraph (4) may continue to carry on their business and keep any premises used in that business open—

(a)to provide accommodation for any person, who—

(i)is unable to return to their main residence,

(ii)uses that accommodation as their main residence,

(iii)needs accommodation while moving house,

(iv)needs accommodation to attend a funeral,

(b)to provide accommodation or support services for the homeless,

©to host blood donation sessions, or

(d)for any purpose requested by the Scottish Ministers or a local authority.

It is pretty clear to me on most counts. The only dubiety is perhaps about a person who “is unable to return to their main residence”. I consider this could include people who can’t, by virtue of being ‘key’ workers involved in critical functions, return to their normal residence. This could include health and infrastructure workers etc.

I just wanted to highlight to hosts with holiday accomodation on Scotland.

3 Likes

Interesting in England you can only host key workers and then only in whole listings @Jamjsco

There certainly is a deviation in approach. Even when the UK guidelines were announced the Scottish Government enhanced the restrictions. The STR platforms typically only reflected the UK position.

Hi all, Scottish Airbnb host here. I got an email from Airbnb this morning regarding these updated regulations. I am after a bit of advice. I would love to know if any Scottish hosts are:

1. Still hosting
  2. Have signed up to the COVID19 program to offer accommodation to essential key workers (and are comfortable with the deep clean/risk factor (particularly when they have neighbours)
  3. Have blocked off their calendar for the foreseeable and if so how long?
  4. Have contact the local council for any grants/funding? From what I have found out so far we are entitled to absolutely nothing.

Look forward to hearing from you as would love to discuss with others in the same position as myself.

Hello @jaynehiddleston,

Welcome to the forums. Having read the update from Airbnb, I am pleased it matches my understanding of the regulations and that key works can still be hosted. You’d assume they have asked the government or at least for legal advice on this.

In response to your questions:

1. We are still hosting. We have only been accepting key workers or those travelling home before the new regulations. We will now host in accordance with the regulations.

2. We have not signed up but we are looking at it now.

3. The calendar is fully available. Bookings are clearly only possible withing the restrictions though.

4. No, we haven’t. I don’t believe any such funding is available from the government or local authorities. I don’t think it should be, either. You may wish to check your insurance provider for cover.

@Jamjsco I received an email from airbnb today about that. Currently I’m hosting a couple that cannot return to their main residence. They booked for two weeks and I lowered the prices to cost only. The reason they can’t return is that their country closed the borders and all flights to there are cancelled.

That’s lovely of you @Gem20

@Helsi
Thank you. I didn’t think I was going to get any reservations but I left it open for these kind of situations or key workers. Wouldn’t do it for free though to be completely honest.

It is interesting how the regs vary, in England you can only host key workers or hotels can accept referrals from the local authority to house people who are homeless.

The regs in England actually look very similar to those in Scotland.

1 Like

I’m in England @Helsi the rules are what Daisymead posted