New listing pricing advice and Beyond Pricing

Very good advantage. Here the market is saturated with 1-2ppl places too.

Our guest bedrooms are very low priced, around the $30’s and $40’s so I will follow your guidelines to just play a little with the price. Last week i got an inquiry from a guest who tried to book with me 3 months ago bargaining and many ridiculous requests so once I saw she asking for the same things I raised my price to 70$ for the dates she wanted, and I got a booking the next day same dates! The guy is not from Taiwan, he is also very polite via the messaging system and is arriving today…I was shocked. Go figure!

1 Like

My business people dont even need anything fancy. Private bathroom though can be an issue.I had to put TVs in each guests bedrooms to avoid hanging out in a living room.

1 Like

Is the noise from the TV bothersome? I am reluctant to put one in our space because I hate listening to it blah blah blah. We don’t have cable and only hook up an antannea when my son wants to watch football. I wouldn’t mind if they were streaming something as you then don’t have the volume variance between show and advertisement. I thought about putting one and then setting limits as to time and volume.

But right now I’m investing in other things (in perpetuity, I think!! There’s always something to add!). Right now I’m putting in more towel bars, have purchased some curtains for the larger room, and a refrigerator for their private use. I think an electric fireplace will set me apart from my competition, adding more value. Since I use space heaters for the space anyway, they might as well enjoy a fireplace.

But all that aside - are there any problems with the tv being loud?

1 Like

Yes - I’ve had the same experience, Vera. I lost a ton of money this past summer low-balling myself. I had a last minute cancellation for a week-long booking, but booked those days and made a lot more money.

There’s such a psychology to it. I think if we have our price to low, people overlook us as a bargain, low-quality space. People expect to pay a certain amount for lodgings that are clean and decent quality. If you charge less than that, people may not even look at you. For instance, I know that, with my family of 5 I’m going to pay at least $125 or so for a decent hotel room. If someone advertises for $65 I most likely will not even look. Also, a decent price sets you apart from the start.

So many listings are awful. Threadbare towels, dirty rooms, careless hosts. Do a smart job and get a smart price.

I’m learning all this as I go along…

2 Likes

I thought it would be bothersome but it really is not.
Usually people turn down volume. And 2 doors in between and hallway does the job of keeping noise down.
Yesterday, daughter of a guest fell asleep with TV loud. A woman was downstairs still working. I just saw door opened with a girl sleeping. Tv is right at the door. I turned it off, and then told mom to tell daughter about having it loud at night.
Tv downstairs I never hear. In any case its better that yo have them sitting in my living room at night

1 Like

So i gave this a try, it has been a month and they have lowered my pricing way below market value. I have had to cancel a number of reservations. This program clearly does not work for my area (aspen co).
For instance, last year in March i was getting, on average $775 a night. I took a number of bookings for this year at $550 a night. I have no idea how they generate their numbers, but they are way off.
I will be cancelling stopping the sync right away. Truly dissapointed.