New host intro with first guest & already it's a 'fun' one

I don’t know if it was a re-home or a cancelled booking the day beforehand.

With you there - but since their Case Manager said she was going to call be back after she spoke to him and never did, I’m not going to hold my breath there. I figure I need to let the dust settle a little before making that phone call…

I’m happy to share his name/profile here, but I’m not sure if that breaks any forum rules.

1 Like

Tweeting at Airbnb seems to be the best way to get a response, anacdotally…

1 Like

Another thought: If your AirBnB profile also indicates you are an attractive/single host, you might want to change your picture to include your SO, or brother, co-worker, whatever, and use some we/our language in the listing. It could help deter the creeps looking to intimidate a host living alone in her listing. I remember another poster here a year or so ago mentioning they had to do this. If you were my daughter, this is the advice I would give you.

7 Likes

I doubt that linking his profile breaks any rules. Will the moderators please weigh in. If it’s okay for you to link his profile any of us who wishes to can report him.

1 Like

There are other expert reviewers who I hope chime in but I wouldn’t say anything nice about this guest. I would jump right in and say:

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend (GUEST) to other hosts. Early in the stay he was uncomfortably argumentative about benign topics. Midway through his stay he insisted on burning incense in my living room, and became verbally abusive when I told him to put it out. His stay ended early.

3 Likes

Don’t Worry! Like kidney stones, this too shall pass. Write your review a couple days before the time out, but don’t wait till the last second. Reviews are for other hosts, not for the guests! When you see his review, no matter what it says, do not respond. Just let it go and move on. Air probably will not remove his review (which is a damn shame) or remove him from the system (a bigger shame) but your review tells the rest of us what we need to know if he tries to book with us.

I do like @SuiteInSeattle’s “no positive” version of the review.

1 Like

“Like kidney stones, this too shall pass.” (ha)

I also favor the review by @SuiteinSeattle and would only remove the word “uncomfortably” because it is never even “comfortably argumentative”.

It is the worst luck that this will be your first review of a guest when you’re barely off the ground. Maybe there’s another way to word your review but I’m at a loss.

2 Likes

Aaaand… just discovered a (small but definitely new and noticable) burn mark on a small bookcase in the bedroom, next to unmistakable incense ash. So he damaged something. With the incense. That I told him to put out.

GAAAAH!

Thank you for the edit suggestions. Definitely clearer and more concise. Additional expert reviewers, please do (as @SuiteInSeattle suggested) chime in!

No, we should NOT make his profile public. You may feel free to exchange PMs though with the jerk’s profile.

1 Like

Ok, you need to submit a resolution center claim for that burn mark damage. Do that asap.

Open a case with Air on this awful guest also. Get their opinion before submitting the review.

They might not allow the review at all since he was so abusive. I don’t know… ask them.

1 Like

LIttle late to the party, but I will add that I specifically say in my listing that burning of candles or incense and use of crock pots is not allowed due to the fire hazard they present. In high school, I had a friend who burned his house down when he fell asleep burning incense. Crock pots are also a huge fire risk I’m not willing to take.

My listing profile pic is me and my bf even though he doesn’t live at my house. It felt like a safer option. Luckily I’ve never had a situation like you did, but this is a good lesson to remind me that I should have a prepared plan should something like this happen.

You could review him, then Suspend your listing, and set up a whole new profile and listing. I understand you can have people post reviews who know you

Do share about the crock pot. Fire hazard? Never heard that before. Source?

While I believe it prudent to have no candles/incense/vaping rules; I don’t think that hosts should believe that they have to tolerate any and all guest behavior that isn’t mentioned in the house rules. Enough people find incense offensive that guests should ask before they light it. If they don’t ask, hosts are entirely in their rights to ask the guest to stop.

3 Likes

I put it in my rules. I used to stupidly have candles all over the place and finally got a clue and removed them all,when a guest had an accident. Also when I did a ride along with a firefighter one time and he told me the biggest cause of house fires besides kitchen fires is unattended candles.

I don’t trust other people to do the things that require the crock pot to be completely safe.

I don’t even use it myself because I don’t want to leave anything cooking/heating when I’m not there. It’s hard for me to even leave my dryer running if I’m not going to be home.

The dryer for sure is bad. I’m usually here when my crock pot is on… only because I’ve never been able to pull it together enough to put something in the pot before I leave for the day!!!

there’s a link to ‘report the user’ isn’t there on airbnb? Maybe try using that. What a kn*b!!! Sorry you experienced this. Personally if I were living alone (female) I’d be reluctant to have male guests.

I believe the correct spelling is ‘Sauce’ :laughing:

Follow-up!

First of all - thanks everyone for the advice and help.

Second - I posted my review of the guest today and recieved his. I was right, it was ugly. Which turned out to be a good thing. In the (paraphrased) words of Air’s customer service rep, the review wasn’t related to the listing or the stay, and it was removed.

I just want to say again - thank you everyone for the thoughts and input. As a real Air newbie, it is so freaking helpful to have a group of people to turn to and say, “Am I being crazy, or…”

5 Likes