New Host - How involved should we be?

Good question but a hard one to answer. I have the breakfast amenity checked off on my listing but I am constantly wondering whether to take it off so people don’t expect anything and then it’s like a nice surprise that they can have cereal etc. Like Jess1 says, don’t overplay it. If you can do as Joan does, that sounds perfect.
If so, maybe check the amenity but don’t advertise it or make a big deal of it. Just put it out for them - it will be appreciated even if they don’t say so.

1 Like

I think the breakfast sets the tone that it’s our gaff.

2 Likes

Yes, it seems that all us live-in hosts have agreed on this point! Putting out some breakfast items says clearly " This is all for you and you’re welcome! Just don’t touch anything else". :wink:

1 Like

You are a natural host, even when you’re not in that role. I’m sure everyone appreciated it.

2 Likes

The guests will surely appreciate their privacy so it would be better to leave them but give contact details in case they need your help.

Hehehe thanks but I just wanted breakfast and felt bad for a young guy

1 Like

Thanks. Do you give out your cell number to guests or just ask them to use the app?

Best to use the app. Then Airbnb have a record. Also I had a bad guest once who gave out my number to junk callers and texters as revenge for asking him to leave. They only need the phone for emergencies or if they keep on going out of WiFi.

My cell number is available to them when they book my place (it’s on the reservation) and I also have it on a card in the room. There are times when the app goes down or for people without smartphones (yes some of them use Airbnb) but who do text it’s a good idea. That is for routine communication. If there is a problem, like they text you to tell you there’s bedbugs in their bed then to to the app or website immediately to document the communication.

1 Like

Thank you. I didn’t realize that the cell number is automatically available but it makes sense. I want to be available if there’s a problem.

How do I document things in the app that don’t go through the message function?

Just write a message to the guest saying something along the lines of “This message is to confirm your concerns about bed bugs and to reiterate to you that the exterminator will be here in the morning.” Even if they don’t reply or acknowlege, you have something in writing.

Don’t let all the horror stories here alarm you. I’ve hosted about 500 guests in my home over the last 4+ years and have never had a major problem.

Thank you. We have just had 2 so far and both were great. Our 3rd comes today.

1 Like