NEW host:) Can I get your opinion please?

I have to weigh in on the “swamp cooler” posts. I live in El Paso TX and I love my evaporative cooler. I just had a new one installed this past spring. And as @J_Wang said, they are fine for most people most of the time. I have refrigerated window units in each of my bedrooms and a portable refrigerated unit in my living room for those really hot or really humid days, about 30 days a year and not even all day. I could have installed refrigerated whole house air but it’s just too wasteful for me. The idea of cooling the whole empty house at 75 degrees for 8 hours every night while I sleep in one room seems silly.

These coolers need a window cracked open as they push high volume of air around. When temps are mild, up to about 85-90 degrees doors can be left completely open. Lots of fresh air in my house. If I were having hot flashes, or had bad allergies maybe I’d feel differently.

2 Likes

That’s great you can take advantage of the efficiency and low cost of a swamp cooler. My friend in Sky Valley, California near Palm Springs has a roof unit for his small house. It works amazingly well, which is good because electricity rates there are very high.

1 Like