New cancellation policies... and increased host fees!

Hi Chrls - I have never had an issue with cancellations and I’ve refunded all the money (even though i didnt have to) in the one time it happened in 2.5 yrs.

But the new cancellation system will impact hosts who can’t afford to do this and it will invariably draw uncommitted guests who will book units as a placeholder. So even for those of us who are quite flexible, we ought to expect cancellations to occur much more frequently now that Air is actively promoting “risk-free” reservations. The policy just invites an entirely different kind of guest.

Hi Chris-

If each Ritz Carlton only had 1 room in the hotel, they would not allow people to cancel last minute, and they would require full payment up front.

The same goes with a restaurant. If each restaurant only has one table in it, you better believe all meals would be paid for upfront, no refunds.

Most Air hosts have one room or house to rent. When a guest reserves that space, the owner is committing to make it unavailable to everyone else. If guests cannont commit and choose not to use a credit card that has trip cancellation insurance, or they choose not to purchase it - then they should not expect the host to in turn write a check out of their pocket to refund (if they cannot re-book the property).

Back in the day, when I booked vrbo units I did so knowing that cancellation wasn’t an option. If I suspected there might be an issue (like when I was with a boyfriend who I was always breaking up with) I would deliberately book a hotel.

Last year, I tried to cancel a vrbo rental in Hawaii 2 hours after I booked it (dates were 3 months out) and the owner said sorry, but it’s not happening, so of course I stuck with the reservation even though my sister would be kinda far from us. Many people cancel because they prefer to and not because they have to. Our trip was great, probably because we were pretty far from the rest of my family, LOL.

2 Likes

I had strict but not ‘super strict’ lol

Italian policies will be applied all over the world in the next 6 months. If you aren’t agree please sign the petition https://www.change.org/p/airbnb-s-new-cancellation-policies-are-absolutely-wrong and spread the voice.
@sunshine1 Are the new cancellation policies running out also in Ireland?

I had rain predicted and a guest who stated they were cancling due to rain. I said no way. 7 minutes later they said relative died. Airbnb returned all money. Too late to find new guest. So mad.

How do you know??..

Airbnb informed us italians, both the local team and the team in San Francisco that is working on the new policies.

Uggg I want you to be wrong so bad. :frowning:

1 Like

I hope the same for you all. I hope they will measure this new policies in Italy, see that those are wrong and cancel or change their plans.

Ellen, Airbnb does not refund their fee which is about 15% of the booking fee.
We are not hotels, balancing one empty room with 30-100 filled ones.

However, as the model becomes more corporate, with hosts owning dozens of rentals, the new model works.

Stuff happens in life and occaisonaly a guest will actually need to cancel and should be able to penalty free. But the, I changed my mind cancellation should not penalize us in this way.

I dont know. I know it happened with myself a couple of times, but then after another guest cancelled most recent, I got a full refund. Maybe air just randomly select different hosts to test the new policies on. Again I dont know.
I’m a bit blah with airbnb at the mo, between that, then I cant see what star ratings my guests give me anymore…also when i try to contact them (With a telephone number they give to ‘superhosts’ ), the number doesnt even work. …I’m looking at other alternatives to airbnb to maybe combine the 2. Also sick of the review system, worrying all the time what guests will give…falling over myself to make their stay perfect…
I know i have gone of on a tangent here! You only asked me about the cancellation policies lol…

2 Likes

In most cities in the US hosting multiple places aren’t being allowed. Lots of fights all over and AirBNB is actually finding and eliminating multiple offerings because cities say you can’t be a “nonprofessional” host and host multiple places.

In some cities… not most.

No, but they can change your ranking depending on how far you are deviating from Smart Pricing.

1 Like

Absolutly, I think that´s the NEXT big thing coming.

I noticed that the cancellation policy is right up at the top now for Italian listings.

It’s underneath the host profile picture and before " About the listing"

Certainly getting a prominent position

As far as other industries, restaurants, at least around here, that are small, just don’t take reservations, that way they don’t have to worry about cancellations. I even have cancellation fees at my hair stylist! I agree that advertising the lenient cancellation fees will just attract a different type of guest. The only way to make up for cancellations will be to raise prices overall.

This depends on the kind of guest your listing serves. Mine attracts people traveling through my town and I get many same day or prior day reservations. Despite this people change their mind, take a different route, stop along the way, or something comes up. I have flexible cancellation and I always offer to refund if I get a replacement booking, which I often do. Nevertheless, I still get several payments a year with no guest, no expenses. Therefore I don’t have to raise my prices.

Well so far, I haven’t seen any sign of them being applied, in Germany, which is where I am hosting.

Why do you think they were applied to Italy, first?