New cancellation policies... and increased host fees!

would you mind sharing that email? (privately is ok)

as a reference, representative of the Italian host community yesterday had a discussion with the Airbnb Italian country manager and other reps.

this is a summary, with a (google) translated text.

1 Like

I have cancelled a good few places ā€¦ not had any fees back though :frowning:

Iā€™ve had a similar problem with AirBnb and wonā€™t be using their system again beyond current reservations in early 2017. I recently changed my cancellation policy to strict as a few guests cancelled last minute leaving me out of pocket. After changing to strict I had a cancellation 3 days before guests were due to stay for 7 nights. I immediately called Airbnb to explain situation and given the reason for the cancellation I explained I was happy to refund half their fee and would refund more if I was able to get further bookings during the time they were supposed to stay (which was unlikely given the fact they cancelled just 3 days before arrival).

Airbnb staff assured me that due to the late cancellation and my strict cancellation policy I would receive the full amount as usual (to be paid on the date of move in as usual). I said that the guest was chasing me to send the half of his fee back the staff talked me through this also. I even received an email shortly afterwards from AirBnb confirming that the funds I sent back to the guest had been sent and would be deducted from my next payout.

A few days after the guests that cancelled were due to arrive I notice their monies which Airbnb had promised would be sent to me hadnā€™t been sent. I also noticed that the half of the refund I had been told was sent (and even had email confirmation that this had been sent) also had not left my account. Concerned, I called Airbnb again and was assured by a second member of staff that there was no problem, and the payments coming to me and the refund I was sending back had simply been delayed.

Another day passed and I then got an email saying that I was not getting any funds from the cancelled reservation despite my strict cancellation policy and despite being told twice that I was. I was sent links which pointed out;

ā€œWe generally require claims to be submitted no later than 14 days from the original check-in date and we may require valid supporting documentation.ā€

Obviously this was not the case as the booking was cancelled 4 days prior to the 7 night stay.

I did complain again, moreso simply for the fact that Airbnb had completely misinformed me twice about what was happening with this case. I changed my cancellation policy to strict previously for the reason cancellations really hit my cashflow and I rely on a whole weekā€™s booking to cover finance against the properties and I felt that Airbnb after telling me that I was well within my rights to decide how much of a refund I could offer then completely back tracked and in my mind lied to me about the situation. There was little support for me and they in my mind completely sided with the guest despite policy that is clearly outlined. I suffered quite significantly financially through no fault of my own, a pill I could have swallowed if I wasnā€™t misinformed along the way.

For these reasons I have closed my calendars on both flats after bookings early next year and wonā€™t continue to use Airbnb which is a shame because the system generally works well.

1 Like

Which platforms will you use?

Thanks for sharing Scott. And sorry to hear that the Airā€™s policies are clearly not working for your business. Did Air tell you why they gave a full refund? Did guest use the extenuating circumstances policy? Did guest tell you why they wanted to cancel?

Also, Iā€™m not quite understanding how a refund works if you have not been paid out yet. Are you able to submit a refund, and then Air will subtract it from the payout?

A guest cancelled last week on me, she wasnt due for another few weeks. I was surprised but happy Air sent me a message to say i will get half the payout back. I have strict cancellation policy on, but usually lately if someone cancels before a weeks up, they get all their money back.I wonder has Air reverted back to no refunds a month before? (Although saying that it still says a week before on my settings).

Are you located in U.S.?? If so, what do you mean Air has been giving your guests 100% back for strict cancellation? Are you guests using extenuating circumstances?

In Ireland. The Guest cancelled. They give me back half the money. Usually lately if someone cancelled a week before they got all their money back (Expect air fees).
Iā€™m not complaining. Im glad I get paid for at least one of the nights, but just wondering had they changed their policies again?

I am only aware of the new cancellation policies in Italy. As far I have understood, the strict policy has always been if guests cancels at least 7 days out, then they only receive a 50% fund, forfeit Air fees, and host receives the other 50% as payout. And if guest cancels within 7 days, then they lose 100% of everything.

So you are saying that lately your guests have been canceling and Air has given them 100% back, AND they are not using extenuating circumstances??

im saying when a guest cancelled before the 7 days, they got all their money back, i got nothing. Now it seems this particular guest cancelled a few weeks in advance, I still get one nights payment, and they get one night refuned back.

Right, I get that. I am asking if the guests who received 100% refund used a reason that qualifies under the extenuating circumstances policy. And if they didnā€™tā€¦then did Air tell you why they overrode the ā€œstrictā€ cancellation policy?

no guests even mentioned circumstances. no message to say why they cancelled

sorry to be so confusing. im confusing myself haha

Wow. Thatā€™s crazy that Air wouldnā€™t have at least communicated to you that the guest was canceling, and if they were applying the extenuating circumstances policy.

Hellā€¦Iā€™d call them just for the hell of it and tell them you are missing several payouts for Guest A, Guest B, and Guest Cā€¦then see what they say. Not that you seem too interestedā€¦lol

1 Like

@sunshine1 just curiousā€¦
Have you had some cancellations ~beyond 7 days~ and received nothing? Not even 50%?
With this particular cancellation, you received 100% of the money yet the guest cancelled beyond 7 days right?
You said you are wondering if they ā€˜reverted backā€™ to 30 days. Interesting statement, because there have been 5 different cancellation types; were you on a 30-Day Strict policy originally or at some time?

I (or my guests) have or are under 3 different cancellation ā€˜Strictā€™ policies, depending on when they booked, why I ask.

Hi Mearns,

Yeah I received nothing at all for a couple of guests, beyond the 7 days.
This particular cancellation I received 50% back (This guest just booked a couple of weeks ago).
Before air changed the policy again I had 30 day strict on, then air changed it to 7 day.

Its all quite confusing.

So is Air notifying you of why they changed your policy from Super Strict 30 day to the regular strict policy?

And why arenā€™t you being paid out when guests cancel? Even on the regular strict you are supposed to receive 50%.

Iā€™m going to have to contact them. No I never ever had super strict on, only 30 day strict before. (I read somewhere that you can only use super strict by invitation only)?

Do you have different cancellation policies in Ireland?

We have regular ā€œstrictā€ policy. Next one up is the ā€œsuper strict 30 dayā€ (by invitation only). I am not familiar with a 30 day strict.

Yep 30-day strict was what i had before, but theyve removed that to strict-7days, then theres moderate then flexible.
How can someone get inviited to use super strict? Personally I think super hosts should have it.