New at hosting, question about TV in main living area

thinking about it… it’s probably because the town is “Venice”.

1 Like

Awww. I missed it. Search function here I come

Villa is a Spanish word (Italian, too?) for which the dictionary translation is “country house”.

So a townhouse in the city or suburbs is definitely not a villa.

But housing complexes come up with these names for things which make them sound far more classy than they actually are, like XX Gardens, when the gardens only consist of some scrappy looking low growing evergreens and bark mulch.

Or XX Estates, when they are just normal suburban homes.

In the development I live in the builder offers many “series” of homes. The Premier homes are the largest houses on larger lots, the Designer houses are average size houses on fairly small lots, and Villa are small to tiny houses on tiny lots that usually have the neighboring villa wall as part of their lot line.

The marketing hit me funny, as I too thought the Villas would be the big homes.

1 Like

I think it depends where you are . Multiple TVs everywhere seems to be more of a North American thing.

I don’t have a TV for my guests. If I am travelling and have a desperate need to watch something I’m happy to use my laptop.

I eat in a dining area :grin:

4 Likes

haha, and very much a thing in parts of Australia. we are house hunting on the Gold Coast and I’ve come to describe each house by how many TVs they’ve got. meh, one room for netflix binging is all we need.

in my 2 airbnbs I have gasp zero TVs. we are in a wine region, on a farm, with fireplaces and plenty of wine glasses and cheese knives… why would you come here if only to watch telly? makes no sense. we have wifi so guests can use their devices if they wish. I’ve now put the words “digital detox” in my listing description. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great idea. I once had a guest remark during the house tour that it was a shame there was no TV in the bedroom. (The bedroom is fully shown in the listing’s photograph).

Which prompted me to go off on one, nicely, about how screens are not recommended in a bedroom if restful sleep is the goal. The guest quite meekly agreed, :slight_smile:

2 Likes

While many hosts are fretful if they can’t provide high-speed unlimited internet, or worry that guests won’t book if there’s no TV, several of my guests have told me they were actually glad that Wifi was limited at my place. They said they spend way too much time online, and probably would have wasted a lot of their holiday time if the Wifi was great, because it’s so addictive.

1 Like

I did have a mum comment on how great it was not to have a TV, and it forced her kids outside where they found the tyre swings and spent the afternoon outdoors. she was thrilled.

I wonder if we’re missing a gap in the market, could we charge more for the “digital detox” experience? :laughing:

2 Likes

While many hosts are fretful if they can’t provide high-speed unlimited internet, or worry that guests won’t book if there’s no TV, several of my guests have told me they were actually glad that Wifi was limited at my place. They said they spend way too much time online, and probably would have wasted a lot of their holiday time if the Wifi was great, because it’s so addictive.

So true, the trick is to word this in a charming way…

1 Like

When they had the Family friendly category on Airbnb, one of the requirements was a TV, which had a lot of hosts up in arms. It’s so typical of Airbnb to decide that if you have kids, there has to be a TV.

I never had a TV in my home, and the last thing I would have wanted was to spend a holiday being badgered by the kids about turning the TV on.

1 Like

I used to co-host for a neighbour and his rental had a TV, but no internet at all. When he had inquiries, I’d always ask the potential guest “you did notice that the apartment doesn’t have wifi didn’t you?”

I can’t remember it ever being an issue. Of course, we have Starbucks and other places nearby if guests desperately need to get online but no-one seemed to be put off.

By the way, I’ve mentioned this here before but I had a guest (in one of our apartments) who was pretty snotty because she couldn’t get her iPad to connect. She was quite frantic about it. The reason was, that despite her having the user name and password, her excuse was “I don’t see why I have to use a password”. Yup.

Once I’d got her connected she went straight to the dreaded Facebook to check her timeline. So much for the urgency.

3 Likes

I have 2, 2-bedroom condos. One has a TV just in the living room, and the other has a TV in the living room and both bedrooms. Both units have the same high ratings. :slight_smile:

As others mentioned, what’s important is that your place matches what you have advertised. Of course, it’s sometimes nice to “overdeliver”, but I don’t think you will get complaints if the photos, description, and amenity choices match what you have.

1 Like

I am one of those who doesn’t watch much TV. I will sometimes watch MSNBC on my iPad. Once in a while—a couple of times a year—I’ll get into bingeing a show on Netflix or Hulu and watch that on my one large screen TV

Honestly, I don’t even pay attention to whether there’s a TV in the AirBnBs I rent. When I think back, I bet only about half had even one. TVs in bedrooms irritate me because they frequently take up valuable space on a dresser. I wouldn’t watch TV in a bedroom because it has the potential to interfere with falling asleep.

If it was my AirBnB, I’d have one TV in the living room and that’s it. But, OP, you said it will be your vacation home, so do what suits you.

1 Like