Never generalize about guests!

It’s funny . . . I don’t mention it often, but I have absolutely LOVED all of my German guests over the past 3.5+ years (US host here). I think generalizations, when positive, are totally appropriate!

Wishing you peace and joy this Christmas season and beyond, and as a dog owner, my heart is with you as you navigate the loss of your beloved companion. Much love to you!

1 Like

@Christian, I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is losing a member of the family; it hurts so much. Hugs from me and the best wishes for Christmas and the new year.

Now, I am an American but a transplant from Europe, so I get the part of how positive the Americans are but I also been through the culture shock. I think that all hosts here who had very good experiences with some nationalities would like to see more of them as guests. I too had such wonderful experiences.

I’m glad that the Americans were able to uplift your moods. I really hope that they will continue to do so and your country is on my bucket list. I might book you in the future. Best of luck!

1 Like

My faves are the Chinese. They are so happy to be welcomed, and to be introduced to Canada. They are also very kind.

3 Likes

My faves are the dog-owners and the under-24 year olds. Go figure.

Oh, I am also super-fond of the arrive very late and leave very early crowd :laughing:

4 Likes

Dear Christian,
So sorry to hear about your sadness. We lost two
beloved dogs this year but fortunately still have two and recently rescued a puppy. Animals make life better for sure.
Thanks for sharing your opinion of American guests. I’m a bit surprised. I often assume that we Americans are the worst tourists; loud, boring and demanding. I’m happy to hear that its not the case for you.
We’re a bit spoiled in Hawaii. Almost everyone is so happy to be here they rarely complain about anything. In five years of hosting I can honestly say we’ve never had a bad guest.
My advice is to keep hosting and get another dog ASAP.

5 Likes

I agree, those of us who have traveled abroad are much more open to the world/other cultures and people. Those who don’t tend to be quite ethnocentric and close-minded, imo.

1 Like

Not all travellers are anything approaching wealthy nor come from a place of privilege. Many travellers have simple requirements and travel on a shoestring budget. But certainly those in the world who are simply struggling to survive and put food on the table aren’t likely to be doing anything in the way of travelling.

1 Like

Thank you so much for you condolences! It warms me to see your kind word!

I actually recently had some guests from El Paso @KKC and thew were so nice and did invite me over which was so nice so if I’m ever in those parts of the world I’ll message you :slight_smile:

Aarhus is really great although I’d recommend Copenhagen any day :slight_smile: @jaquo

I agree that most of those who travel to Europe often are a different breed than the “average” American for lack of a better wording but those I’ve encountered are just the best!

God Jul to you too @NordlingHouse :evergreen_tree::santa:t4:

3 Likes

My travels occurred because my mother who was deprived as a child worked hard invested hers and my father’s earnings well then died too young to really enjoy what she had saved.
My father lived to travel in Europe and took me with him and then decided to send my husband and I on trips to Europe as well.
Prior to that my husband and I traveled through Mexico, living at a Bible School Clinic going with teams up into the mountains to do clinics with the indigenous. When we weren’t in Mexico we lived in a 5th wheel in Washington state.
Not all travelers are wealthy and privileged, some value travel and adventure over affluence.

And I have found that not all Americans are open and friendly to strangers, but I love that part of me that talks to strangers. In fact I often compliment other women on their hair, clothes or appearance just to make their day.

1 Like