Need help with writing a negative review

Yes. Very good point. I don’t want to be judgemental or subjective but I do want to share the facts about her breaking our house rules.

We may have to agree to disagree though. :slight_smile:

If the guest is an annoying chatterbox, for example, while the host is introverted…or whines and complains constantly…these are personality traits and I believe that’s really relevant. Especially if the guest is sharing the same house space with us. (I don’t have this so I can’t really say I have ever written a review that made that sort of comment.)

… however…I have made a comment on personality… one time I wrote, “The guests were surly, unpleasant and demanding upon arrival, ordering me about like the scullery maid.” And went on to describe the other bad things they did.

I felt this comment about surly and unpleasant was definitely relevant to the overall experience of the guest.

Now… reverse the review for a moment and think about how many times we have made positive comments on the guests’ personality.

"They were cordial and easygoing guests, friendly and delightful, such sweet personalities, etc " blah blah. Isn’t that the same thing …yet in reverse?

3 Likes

@smart bnb.io I will have to look into smartbnb. That would be useful information.

Same here. I still struggle with leaving reviews sometimes. There are guests who unintentionally rub me up the wrong way, that’s not their fault (unless it involves house rules) and then there are guests who follow all the rules and are perfect and polite and yet they still make you feel like you’re an employee. I would like to see a “not airbnb home-stay material” option on the review system! And yes, I would so love to go back and go full-frontal on some horrible guests I had last year after seeing their review and private feedback.

3 Likes

There’s no right answer to this, is there? LOL People complain about the review system all the time but it’s the best you’re going to get, I think. I honestly think the review system, despite inherent flaws, is a core strength of airbnb. As far as I know, no other accommodation platform does the same blind-review, monitored, authenticated system?

4 Likes

So I would suggest stating the facts only. And try to think about something positive to say as well. The old ‘shit sandwich’ approach: something nice, followed by the bad stuff, and ending in something else nice, if you can.
Eg.
I met X on check-in and the first evening of her stay. She seemed to settle in ok. [It’s not fair to mention the incense burning as it wasn’t in your rules and she complied when you asked her to stop]. Unfortunately, she didn’t comply with the house rules of not eating in the room which caused stained linen and left unwashed dishes in the sink. I would not host her again.

Having written that out, it sounds a bit petty, if I’m honest. It’s part of the business to get the occasional dirty dishes and some stained bedlinens. Unless it was malicious or an outrageous amount of damage, my view is that you have to suck these things up and count the $$ against that bottle of bleach. Act like a good guest reviewing a host and slam her in the stars and private feedback. I think seasoned guests get very complacent and need a wake-up call sometimes, but no need to go ballistic.

I hate it too but have to admit that is probably how they got so popular and “trusted.”

That said, I think the review system is way too rigid.

1 Like

Another way to say it is,
The home could have been left cleaner.

2 Likes

I, for one, am definitely not a fan of the blind review, monitored and (supposedly) authenticated system. If it’s the best we’re going to get, then too bad for us.

2 Likes

So what is the alternative? Can you think of anything better? I can’t.

Good idea. If only I could see what kind of reviews she writes. Not that I want to do tit for tat, but personally it kills me when I’ve left a somewhat negative review of someone when they have left me a great one. Argh. This is the hardest part of being a host.

You can, but it’s some work. Click on one of her reviews and then click on that host and the listing of theirs that she stayed in. Scroll down and find the review she left them. Or hopefully left them.

@Magwitch

What’s the alternative to a blind review?! Well, if the guest wants to leave a review, fine…but I should be allowed to respond…whether positively or in rebuttal. What’s the point of having both guest and host write independent reviews of what the other has experienced, and neither can respond.

When submitting a review, it puts pressure on both parties (mostly the host) and is lop-sided at best because the host has the most to lose.

Is there an alternative to a blind review? Of course there is and you are correct, there is no other platform that has the same blind-review system, monitoring, etc.

Sorry, but Air’s review system sucks.

3 Likes

Oh yes, so smart. Thank you!

Does a guest see when you click the button you don’t recommend them?

No…,but they won’t be able to book via IB if they have a thumbs down.

Besides the juice thing, I don’t understand the drama.

It’s common for guests to ask for discounts, early check-in etc. Also, when you asked her to stop doing something (i.e. burning incense), she complied.

It’s also not odd to want to be outside despite rain/cold. I love sitting outside on our patio after it’s rained (or even during it).

So, her biggest crime was spilling juice. Would you decline a guest’s reservation request because they previously spilled juice? That’s a tough one.

I would probably give the guest a thumbs up, but would be factual in the review. The guest wasn’t a good fit for your home. She spilled juice and didn’t tell you so it was very difficult to remove the stain from your linen. Consuming food in the room was also a breach of the house rules. Other than that, she was polite and quirky.

2 Likes

Heather,

You’re right. Having some time and space from her visit has given me a more objective perspective. I appreciate your insight. Would you actually use the word “quirky” in your review?

I really appreciate everyone’s perspective.

1 Like

From what you’ve described, and how you felt about it - I think quirky is the right word. I don’t think it has a positive or negative connotation though. I would use it.

1 Like

You already wrote your review in your initial posting. See the quote above. Just change “she” to the guest’s name. And change “consuming food” to “consuming food/drink” - if your house rules only say “food” then update it to food/drink…even though it should be obvious you are referring to anything that can stain the linens.

I would leave out anything about her asking to borrow gloves because you did tell her to ask if she needed anything. The incense thing she complied with so I wouldn’t mention it - unless she was burning it to cover up a pot or cigarette smell.

She didn’t bother to read the rules so giving her a thumbs up recommendation will only encourage her to continue to disregard the next host’s rules.