Need help with a review

Yes ideally, but it’s not always possible when everyone’s out and/or busy. I’m thinking of a situation I once had where a really obnoxious guest (one half of a couple) just re-arranged the entire bathroom to suit her needs, moved everything out to accommodate her stuff and towels. Then they went out for the night. I had no choice but to undo everything she’d done and place all her stuff outside her room - the other guests were arriving any minute. I did follow up with a message… ‘there seems to be some misunderstanding…blah blah’. Thankfully they only stayed a few nights. She was awful, rude to other guests and generally an entitled piece of crap. Thankfully the other guests were great about it.

Yeah, it’s not easy managing two sets of guests with a shared bathroom. But it can be done! Just don’t expect superhost status… !!

2 Likes

Way too picky. And I don’t think what they did was especially rude. They left their stuff in the bathroom on day one, you tidied the stuff away and didn’t mention it to them so they thought it must be okay. When you’re hosting in a shared environment, it’s usual to have to at least check the bathroom, if not clean some or all of it, several times a day.

As you’re a long-time lurker you know that guests don’t read :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No they won’t

I have a reply that states respond with “YES” if you understand the self check in process. Some respond “YES” then there exact next message is " where do I get the key???
FML

3 Likes

Yes, in my experience guests do read my confirmation message. The downside is that I have at least 1 guest a month that cancels after this message because…
“Oh, it’s not the whole apartment?”
“Oh, it’s a shared bathroom?”

And we have like one guest each two months who needs a change of reservation…
“Oh, I accidentally only reserved for 1 person.”
“Oh, I chose the wrong dates.”

1 Like

LOL, seems like long-time posters can also be averse to reading too.
It’s a SHARED BATHROOM BETWEEN TWO SETS OF GUESTS…

… pause for the gasp of absolute horror at such a thing…

… yes, some of us still do things the old way and yes, it still works but only when you get guests that are on the same page. Most hosts these days seem to be wannabe hoteliers but there are still a few of us oldies left.

Also, the guests were TOLD about the set-up at check-in but decided to ignore it.

4 Likes

You need to point that out in your public reply to her review that she didn’t read the description, so your potential guesst will see that her 3 stars is totally off base!

1 Like

Sorry @Magwitch I have read and re-read the OP’s opening post and can’t see the comment about the bathroom being shared by two sets of guests.

Maybe she meant the part that says “it was a bit disrespectful to the other guests” as an implication that there were 2 or more sets of guests at the same time.?

It was this statement:

Admittedly, it was not explicitly stated but I got the picture straightaway probably because I’m familiar with such a set-up.

Ah, I see someone else already picked up on it, thanks @AvaH !

1 Like

I hope it’s only shared between two sets of guests. The set up would be a bit hostel-ish otherwise. The OP doesn’t sound as though she’s hosting that sort of facility. (Unless it’s just me :wink: )

It could be a shared bathroom with the host as well. I don’t see that as a problem. 5 people sharing a bathroom is not that uncommon unless you’re wealthy. Plus the host is on hand to maintain cleanliness.

There used to be several places in my city that were large apartments with 4-5 bedrooms, all listed as individual rooms and all sharing one bathroom. Hostel-style but without proper management and daily cleaning. They got terrible reviews and have since been “disappeared”. But some hosts do hostel-style and manage very well. Despite what everyone says about going corporate, and all the snobbery that already exists amongst hosts, there is still a place on Airbnb for all kinds of listings.
As long as you manage it well, anything can be successful.

I know, I was brought up in England where it was perfectly normal for a bathroom to be shared between a family of five, or six, or more…

We also had under-counter fridges (tiny ones) that Americans would laugh at these days.

Mind you, now that I’ve lived in the US for 25 years I think that one bathroom between only two people is unacceptable! And I love my huge American fridge :slight_smile:

Another great quote.

1 Like

Yeah. You’d be surprised at how many people are still living in those dark ages back here in blighty. But somehow we manage.

4 Likes

Potential guests will have no idea she got a 3 let alone that it was from them.