Need help on difficult guests--late departure + damage

I have a stockpile of those in the basement from the renovation, so that was a pretty easy fix. I’m just glad she didn’t attack the verticals, because that would’ve been another story…

I’m still letting the resolution stand though… I think she knows what she was trying to do, and I’ll let her think she did. I didn’t claim all of the lipstick I was able to scrub off the trim and the walls…

I would charge them for you time, at least $50/hr minimum 1 hour. You had a deposit and filed?

I did, but the Airbnb walk through only asks for cost to replace… This is all new to me, and honestly, I just want to be done with it. Sure, I feel like I’ve been taken advantage of, but do I just learn from this and move on? I’m thinking that’s all I should/can do at this point.

I would have charged for the blinds. How come she gets away with cutting your blinds because you happen to have a stockpile? I would have filed a case for those blinds.

Early check in and late check out benefit no one. They don’t appreciate it or the time and trouble it costs US.

Just a word to the wise. Never allow early check ins or late check outs.

This is a business deal. You paid me for X number of nights, which start at 4pm end at 11am. after that, you are not my customer, I have fulfilled my end of the deal… and and you need to exit stage left. Simple as that.

1 Like

I did charge for the blinds, but they only cost $6 at Home Depot.

I wish Airbnb took into account time to procure and replace, but that wasn’t asked of me.

There’s still been no response from the guest, and I’m guessing there never will be…

She has to accept or decline the claim within 48 hours. If she does not you will win by default.

Hi Nathalie!

Thanks for your posting! I think you should definitely be compensated for your time and efforts to replace the blinds and for the extra cleaning required.

I think $50/hour is fair. Or charge her double your usual cleaning fee, whichever is more money.

I think you are also perfectly in your rights to charge her for a new duvet and sheets, even if you did get them clean. Oxyclean is hard on fabrics, so they won’t last as long with all the wear and tear. If something like this happens again, just take photos and send them to Airbnb. They are very good about compensating hosts who have valid claims. Lipstick covered duvet and sheets included!

What was the outcome @Natalie ?

Nothing yet. After the two days, guest hadn’t replied. Then I received an email asking if I wanted to “continue” and get airbnb involved. I said yes. So now I guess they have 72 more hours to try and settle things with the guest.

So, no winning by default, unfortunately…

You still might if they don’t answer.

Had to escalate, and finally got a response. Got a message from the guest, feigning ignorance, but then I suspect she actually read the complaint, saw the pictures, and talked with her friend. Within 30 minutes I received a response from air that the money for the damages has been deposited.

Now I just have to write the review! I have 2.5 hours!

4 Likes

Yay! So glad you got resolution - thanks for the update.

1 Like

Let her have it. I wonder, is a guest allowed to review a host given these circumstances? It’s quite obvious that the review would be tainted. Sorry this has happened to you :disappointed:

How do you charge the guest? Through AirBNB? I agree as I have had this happen to me recently.