Need Help in Responding to Failing A/C Situation

I’m from Texas originally so that sounds more normal to me. I like four seasons up here. It’s really only hot for a week but then it’s just warm, like summer. And the cold isn’t that bad. Nothing lasts more than 3 months. In Texas was hot or not-hot, those were the seasons.

1 Like

Well, Thank you all for your advice.

I didn’t know about the HomeDepot opportunity (thank you, @JJD). I discussed it with the Host and she doesn’t want to:

a) take the chance that this ability to return within 90 days evaporates because it is not the official HD policy, but maybe more important
b) the hassle of installation and the likelihood that I’ll have to secure the AC units with screws into the structure (and that I’d mess that up: hidden concern no doubt as my DIY projects inevitably lead to projects that require the experts (many stories there!)) led us not to go that way.
c) Maybe also the current guest’s comment on the platform ‘no worries’ is a factor but I don’t want to take advantage of the guest’s graciousness.

I apprised the next guest on the situation, offering the free cancelation and also the idea that she might seek alternative accommodations directly from Airbnb was offered and rejected. Thank you, @Ritz3 . She’ll take her chances at this property.

I was able to get the HVAC company to start the two-day project on the turnover day. So the next guest suffers the issue for one night and one day. As @JJD points out, temps are dropping here. Nights here next week are forceast to be in the 60’s. Still I am giving her, not a refund, but a la @Muddy, a 50% discount on those two days of repairs. Maybe overly generous, but I’d rather err that way than the other, @SleepingCoyote.

I can’t wait for an open day as I have just a few on the weekends, when the HVAC company won’t work. I can’t wait to do the project later because I could have a series of guests who aren’t 100% satisfied and with reason. The AC system isn’t terrible at maintaining 77-78, but it’s really not right. If I were going to wait to do the work I’d go the HomeDepot DIY route of buying three AC units, so as to generate more follow-on work in my community.

Thank you all, you too: @KKC, @NordlingHouse, @Lynick4442 , @Christine_Shirtcliff , @jdmlt , @shinylizard ( Yep, ceiling fans are everywhere they could be, which excludes one bedroom because there’s a canopy draped in the ceiling into the light fixture).

This is why Hosts come to this forum.

2 Likes