Need advice from home share hosts

Oh forgot to mention: if you do list be careful of the default availability in the calendar, so you don’t get bookings outside of your desired window.

2 Likes

You don’t have to. I simply added a Schlage coded key deadbolt to each door, about 16 inches above the doorknob. Since my antique mortise locks and lock plates were brushed nickel plate over brass, the brushed nickel finish matches. “Japan finish” is just black laquer so it’s easy to replicate or repair.

I guess I was lucky back when it was individual rooms when shared baths were acceptable. I had very few conflicts, and folks seemed to enjoy meeting strangers from everywhere. They all took joint care of the shared kitchen. One guest said it was like the shared house he lived in when he was at U of Washington, except that here everyone did their dishes right away.

2 Likes

If you posted a floor plan and pix, perhaps we could offer suggestions as to possible relocation of that entry door?

I had the same luck in the early days. Apart from ourselves (three of us) we would normally have five guests. Only one of those rooms, a single on the top floor, had an en suite.

The two other top floor occupants and the mid-floor two occupants (and us) all shared one bathroom. Although quite often the top floor three bedrooms were used by three friends or colleagues so they probably used the en suite too.

We made an under-stairs cupboard into a tiny loo with a minute washbasin after a while. Nevertheless it seemed perfectly normal for the bathroom to be shared by so many people. The little under-stairs loo was only any good for quick uncomplicated visits.

Yes, I realise that this was in the dark ages but it shows how much times have changed.

While I appreciate your willingness to help, changing the kitchen is not something I asked for help about. I asked for help from home share hosts about temporarily—very temporarily, like 2-4 months—taking my entire house AirBnB (which I am currently living in because of renovation work going on at my house next door) and making it a home share AirBnB. I’m interested in what they had to say about sharing a house in which the host and guests would have to share the bathroom.

Also, the AirBnB in question is 1) a brick house with limestone lintels and headers so does not lend itself to relocating outside entry doors, 2) over 100 years old in very original condition, and 3) a house I’m considering getting listed on the historic register someday. Aside from the fact is only only a temporary thing, there’s no way I’d consider ruining the historic layout of the house.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I would bother with a short term listing but I guess that depends on your willingness to do so. I do know more about sharing a bathroom. Before COVID we had three bedrooms and 1 and 3/4 baths. I had to make them shared in case someone was in the shower and another person needed the bathroom. My husband and I shared the upstairs full bath. We gave each room different colored towels, places to dry them in their rooms and totes that they could carry or leave in the bathroom. People were very respectful with the occasional exception of guys leaving the seat up. (My husband hasn’t done that in 21 years!) Sadly with COVID we reduced to one rented room since we are uncomfortable now with the shared bath.

3 Likes