Need advice from dog experts

That is what the OP said.

lol. She is the OP (who your comment was responding to), and she said it’s a whole-house rental.

Sounds like a shared location, just because it is a separate house does not mean there are not shared spaces.

That’s not what AirBnB defines as a shared space. It has to be a shared room, like a bathroom or kitchen or something.

Ah… gotcha! It is a second house on one parcel but as jkamm said that does not fit Air’s definition of “shared space” as far as I can tell.

However, if your listing includes a shared space and an assistance animal would create a health or safety hazard to you or others (e.g. allergies and pets who are unable to share space with other animals due to a safety concern), we will not require you to host the guests with the assistance animal. Please be clear and polite when communicating with guests about this.

This is the point of contention that I have gone back and forth with them about. They seem to think that if we’re not in the house at the same time as the animal, it should be fine, as if pet dander magically leaves with the guest. So a whole-house rental, regardless of health and safety issues, doesn’t qualify for the service animal exemption.

I think that would only work for me if I had say two 100lb Rottweilers or livestock guardian dogs. I do have guardian donkeys and I let this person know that should the dog get into the pastures/paddocks where they are kept the donkeys will attack and quite possibly kill the dog (this is what they are supposed to do but to coyotes not ESA). As long as she has the dog on a leash under her control there is no reason for it to be in the barnyard area but as I said, I warned her or rather warned the person who booked my place and instructed him to let her know.

I would let this particular situation go, too late now.

For the future add the following to your listing:

**In accordance with AirBnB policy, as out listing includes a shared space and an assistance animal would create a health or safety hazard to us or others we do not host guests with assistance animals.

We comply with all statutory requirements.**

Well that is what I would do. It is your business not mine.

I do not know the listing just going by the description. I have 3 properties on my land and all of them share the space, they are not individually fenced off.

So if I rented one and lived in one of the others I would fall within the AirBnB policy.

Assuming it applies it is an option. I have no intention in dictating how anybody operates their business, just ensuring they know their options.

I would be loathe to use AirBnB for a stand alone property due to the lack of a security deposit, but if I did I would certainly want to make sure the Guests knew I was close by.

Words have meanings, if AirBnB wish to define terms they have used a certain way then they are certainly able to do so.

The wording I used is straight from their own non discrimination policy.

I have never declined a booking and I would never see a need to do so in this situation.

Like what? I’m open to suggestions for my similar case.

What’s really irritating for my situation is that an AirBnB case manager canceled my booking (with a service dog) FOR me, with no penalties, and advised me to put in my listing that I could not accept service/assistance animals.

Yes, I can take them. My prohibition is not a dislike for dogs it’s a dislike for having to clean-up after them (I have owned dogs in my lifetime and my family raised show dogs) and the risk of damage. I am old and cantankerous now and want things as easy as possible :upside_down_face: Also there is the potential danger to them and/or my livestock.

With regard to the ESA and changes in the law I see the airline industry leading the way. Just the other day I saw a story on yet another airline putting restrictions on them and I read an article from someone with a headline that said “ESA people, stop ruining it for everyone else” or something to that effect. These people have pushed the envelope on this issue and the tide is turning.

In the meantime I cannot get a response back from my soon to arrive guest with the just revealed ESA as to when they expect to arrive. This is a person who booked a month out and has messaged me at least 4 times asking questions about what to do and see, tour groups, eating and the ESA. Hmmmmmm. Kinda curious.

1 Like

They check-in tomorrow but I need to plan my day. Getting farm work done and being able to check them in is something I like to plan so I’m not covered in dirt. LOL!

I keep telling people the same thing about horses with the same reaction.

1 Like

Well you’ll never guess what. Just got a message from my guest and it’s been decided that the ESA will not be joining the group on this trip. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks Casa!

4 Likes

:rofl:

I think I’ll stop by our absolutely wonderful chocolate shop and pick them up a specialty box.

My feeling on what happened is that the guy who made the reservation told her the dog was not coming. In a follow-up message to him where I asked for an ETA for Friday I mentioned that he might want to make sure the wine tour driver they booked was okay with having a dog on board. Then I went on to say that I was pretty sure most of the wineries accepted dogs and that a good number of our restaurants have alfresco dining. I think this is his trip that he planned out. He’s come all the way from Cape Town, South Africa to taste our world class wines and I bet he didn’t want anything to be a hassle.

2 Likes

Livestock Guardian Dogs and Service Dogs. Because we have several livestock guardian dogs on our farm, service dogs and or pets are not safe. The LGDs would consider our hosts’ pets or service dogs as threats to their livestock and our guests’ pets or service dogs would not be safe on the farm. This is communicated in our House Rules and Things to Note. We still get guests who insist on bringing their dogs and claim they are service dogs. Livestock Guardian Dogs, like Service Dogs have a job to do. We cannot protect our guests’ service dogs. Any advice? We have had to ask guests to leave recently because they brought their service dog even after we explained the situation. I would rather lose my SuperHost status then see a guest’s pet get hurt by our LGDs. Any advice?

When a guest books open a dialogue with them about the importance of not bringing a service dog with them. Many guests don’t read and those with service dogs think they are the exception. You may even need to exaggerate and tell them that one of your LGDs attacked a friend’s pet or some such dreadful story. Make sure they understand that if they do arrive with a pet or service dog that their reservation will be canceled with no refund. Even though you have this in rules have it within each guest’s message thread.

when you first set up, there is a welcome email that gets sent to the guest as soon as the booking is accepted - I would word something into to tat as well

I wouldn’t mention the skunks. So glad the op guest decided against the doggie.