Nasty e-mail from former guest

Crockery put away unclean isn’t terribly unusual. Even if it’s sort of accidental. I find that the best policy is to take all the crockery out of the kitchen cupboard every turnover and check it and rewash if necessary. I know it’s a faff but the last thing a guest wants to see when he takes a bowl out of the cupboard is somebody’s old dried cornflakes on there.

This isn’t done maliciously though - at least I hope it never has been - but more because people are in a hurry when they leave or lazy because they’re on holiday. Sometimes I suppose it’s because they are accustomed to a dishwasher and therefore not used to hand washing the dishes.

It’s a great reason to make sure that the rental only has a limited supply of crockery though. Taking out and checking stuff would take ages otherwise. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d agree with you about intentional :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: My guest mentioned above put coffee in each cup and put he cups away. We caught it bc we store them upside down, not top open. Some people are just a vindictive f’d up mess. It must be tiring to live that way. Thank goodness most people aren’t so awful.

Glad you have seen the back of her!

(BTW, check Yelp, Google, Facebook, etc a couple times to be in the lookout for a review that way. Some people don’t go away quietly …)

French fries stuffed behind the cutlery container is hard to see as anything but intentional sabotage. Since we have 14 days to write a review, I don’t see any reason to rush to leave one until we’ve had a chance to thoroughly clean the place. If you get such high turnover that you’d forget how you wanted to review a guest if you waited, you could always make notes to yourself until you are sure about the review.

Airbnb is way too busy to verify every host or guest. That will take years. Never mind monitor them. Even police reports may not make the difference if they weren’t charged and convicted.

The review is the control. Once you state honestly and factually what happened, especially if they are new, it’s the keyoff for other hosts.

2 Likes

I truly hate the OP had an unreasonable abusive guest. It is insulting when you work so hard and disheartening. Unfortunately we all get them occasionally.

2019 was a banner year for me —I had two unreasonable, aggressive guests. I also a few really challenging guests. Over the past 6 years I’ve only had very few problem guests and none this aggressive.

I don’t know if it the air of social aggression in the USA or the ease/commonness of on-line abuse/bullying or maybe Airbnb is becoming more mainstream and less of “a community” is contributing to the change.

I was reported to AirBnB by another local host that is my competition. AirBnB put a hold on my listing for age discrimanation for only renting to those 21 years old or older. I had to supply the company Bylaws and insurance to prove this was a requirement before they took the hold off. It took a few days for all of the process.

1 Like

block her. report her to the CS. At least she wont be able to “see you” or contact you ever again.

1 Like

I never review until after the place has been cleaned. Shame other hosts can’t be warned about this awful guest.
It can be frustrating when AIrBnB keeps on notifying host to leave a review but I ignore those messages until the clean is completed.

My system is:

• Guest leaves
  • I check the apartment
  • I do the turnover
  • I write the review

That way, I know what I’m talking about. (For a change, I know, I know … :rofl:)

3 Likes

I am in Canada. In the first quarter of 19 I had a run on lowlives. All came in on IB. My price was too low. But some were beyond excuses.

Disgraceful. We’re very sorry you’ve had to have this creature heap abuse upon you. Report, block, and exhale their negativity.

2 Likes

Yes, report and block her. I do that often to avoid locals when they inquire. If her “email” was a message through the Airbnb messaging app, I you can report it as being abusive or hostile.

Thanks for an honest review to alert future hosts.

I agree. I go in right after guests have left and write the review.