Nagging Guests for Review?

This is true, but at this point she needs to serve herself and build up good reviews. After she leaves her place, she won’t see her again and it’s not her responsibility if the guest has no reviews. I take guests with no reviews often and they turn out to be wonderful guests because they are new.

I guess in my nearly seven years doing Air I have seen it all so sad to say… Guests can and will back stab you… It’s every man (woman) for himself/herself!

1 Like

I have 33 reviews now aadding both rooms. 49 completed trips. There are some haven’t reviewd yet. The backstabbing is a true eye opener to not expect anything from people. You have 80+ reviews, that’s great! I wouldn’t write reviews at that point either, unles they leave me one first.
I have some guests now slamming doors, walking loudly and talking almost like screamin, using the hair dryer in the living room, 2 shirts in a load of laundry, luckily the other bedroom has no guests as the guest got stuck in the airport with visa problem (I am getting paid though). I am not overly crazy because they are doing this so I think mentioning in a review would be too picky, but when I think of the backstabbing, I really just want to write exaclty how they were during there stay at the 11th hour as well.

FYI, it is almost 1am here and the slamming and etc continues…

1 Like

I thnk you also need to be more firm. You have to tell this door slammers to stop it and lay down some rules about common area use such as hair dryers. If you aren’t firm enough, guests will run the roost. Sounds like you are not firm enough!

When I first started teaching, I was told in our training that if the class is out of hand it is not their fault, it is YOUR fault!

Go tell them to stop what they are doing! @Yana_Agapova would!!!

2 Likes

I would stop allowing laundry too. It won’t affect your bookings.

2 Likes

You made me smile hahaha, and you are riggt., I am too soft. I think i will pass the hot potato to my husband now. He is working with hos laptop and earphone and I am wearing night gown hahaahaah I will tell him to go talk to them.

I had such great guests and now I am in a wave of bad guests :frowning:
I tell them the rules repeatig as they check in. One guest told me a was too soft too. He was in one room and the guests in the other room (2 girls) were loud at night, all I did was camp inside our private area and wait for it to stop. The guy guest told me in the morning I should talk to them. He left a great review though but he said I needed to be form too.

Difficult to confront, but as the days passes by I see it is more than necessary

1 Like

140+ stays, 130+ guests, 116 five star reviews, not one backstabber. I don’t think I’m better than anyone else, I just have a different kind of guest.

2 Likes

After today’s couple I change the rules to allow laundry for only stays of more than 3 nights. Let’s see what will be the result of it

1 Like

Wow!!! Impressed. Congratulations. They must be VERY different than my guests

Vera,

I am giving up on writing reviews for guests. I have guests leave say how much they loved the place in text, etc. And with new guests I will write them a review to hopefully prompt them to leave me one. They don’t.

Keep in mind only a portion of my guests come through Air. I did have two guests leave one this winter but I think I even said I will be sure to leave them a great review and they did. But other times that does not work at all. So I am longer interested in helping a guest build up their great reviews while they leave me nothing. And it still amazes that many guests are not even interested in the review I leave them. They will wait for the 14 days to expire. So now I am still going to follow up and thank them for staying and tell them how to book direct with me if they want to return…but I am not going to write a review unless they write one.

1 Like

NEw York Times article this morning on this VERY subject! The cartoons are funny. :smile: take heart!!!

2 Likes

K9 you have been lucky! Sometimes this business is all about luck – or bad luck! Just because you are dealing with people, and some will be nice and others not so nice. The backstabbers are particularly upsetting.

I understand this feeling - I have felt it, too - like, I gave them a gift of a good review and they did not do that for me.

But my point is - it doesn’t just help them - it helps us other hosts. You are not doing them a favor you are doing other hosts a favor. That is, as long as you’re being honest. ; )

1 Like

If they are horrible then I will do that to warn other hosts. But I think even when some guests get a couple of excellent reveiws under their belt…they can get comfortable and then think the rules don’t apply to them.

I just sent yesterday’s checkout an email. I was soooo pissed yesterday! He came through VRBO and thanks to you guys I decided to write him an email. I cannot even explain the huge huge huge difference that my house notes/rules have made over time. The guy even had his daughter write a lovely note and leave a $30 tip. They weren’t horrible guests but I think so many things happened because the guy who booked did not speak English! That is no excuse, but I do want to tap into the Black and Hispanic community. We don’t get many in this neck of the woods, and I know those communities are fairly tight. This is what I wrote to him:

"Hi XXXXX,

I refunded the damage deposit so you should have it in your account within a week. This is the address for your daughter to mail back the magazines: XXXXXXXX. She only needs to mail back the 2016 June/July issues and the collector edition magazine that has Drew Barrymore on the cover.

XXXX was able to fix the toilet. I believe that is why the water was running low yesterday morning. When I was cleaning I went to flush the upstairs toilet and it was making a very loud sound. XXXX thinks someone may have tugged on the rope too hard. I am not sure. But he said if the toilet was running all night then that would most likely be why the water in the well was low.

Also, I know your daughter mentioned you do not speak English. I wish I would have known this, as I would have told her to be sure to read everyone in the group the house notes. The grill was not left clean after each use. XXXX did spend an hour and had to purchase oven cleaner just to get the grill cleaned. The house notes document states that the grill is supposed to be cleaned after each use. I was very disappointed to find out that nobody read the house notes at all. The bears in our area is very a serious issue right now, and our guests cannot leave anything outside that will attract them. Once the bear finds food, the bear will keep returning. Regardless of bears, the grill is supposed to be kept clean after using each time.

We would still be happy for you to visit again. However, we do need all guests to read the entire house rules and departure checklist. All members of the party are supposed to read it. In the house notes it also states that we must be notified immediately of any issues so that XXXX can fix them immediately. Probably one of the kids broke the toilet and didn’t say anything. But they need to tell you so that we can come and fix it right away. Our guests checking in yesterday never would have been able to check in on time at 4. It is very important that the next guests can check in on time. The only reason the guests did not show up on time is becasue they got lost.

I hope you all come back again but I felt I needed to express how important our house notes are and all guests need to abide by them.

Thanks."

The guy really did love the place and they did try to do a nice favor and wash the towels they used. They hardly used any towels at all and I think they washed ours with theirs. My house notes says not to do any laundry belonging to the cabin. Luckily there were no stains on them.

Then I noticed that all the magazines on the coffee table were gone. There was a separate stack of old magazines with a note saying to take them home if they want. Well I don’t know if someone took the magazine pile and placed them on top, but only the current issues were gone. What happed is they asked for permission for an adiult daughter and boyfriend to join them the last two nights because they wanted her to see the place. They did pay the extra guests fee but I have a feeling they may have caused the problems and one of the daughters was the one who took the magazines. The other daughter offered to mail them back to me.

It’s gotta be coming. Reversion to the mean. LOL.

I feel you. It is very similar in my mind too. I just had a guy stay for 8 nights. He booked both of my rooms, so was him and his girlfriend in one room, and his parents in the other. Talk about familiarity… I am not even going to say the deatils. Despite of all, he left praising the apartment etc (i went beyond my means to make the parents confortable), sent air messages saying he loved the place and we were like family. Because he booked 2 rooms i can write 2 reviews, i did write one praisig him and his family. It is left only 2 days to expire the period for review and he hasnt left me any review. I just regret now to have reviewed him. I wont write another review for the other room. They were vere dependant guests, was a tiresome, and i get this in return.

I feel you, i really do.

1 Like

That did make me grin all the while having my breakfast hahahaha
The true colors of Airbnb