My township and neighbors strike again!

As the neighbor they claim it’s 100% true. What was bogus was them posting in the voice of the host. All of it could be 100% trolling though.

2 Likes

Maybe, but maybe it’s somewhat justified. They join and within 5 minutes post a bizarre scenario or ask a question that has been covered here 1000 times (ok I’m exaggerating but it feels that way.) A short introduction and some reading previous posts would make for a friendlier reception methinks!

2 Likes

But this one was so inflammatory it was just begging for a response.
She did bring up some important issues and I honestly felt bad for her. But I didn’t appreciate her implications that the bad behavior was encouraged or condoned by US, the dispensers of wise advice about hosting! :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Of all the things she wrote, this was the least surprising. Drones are cheap. Everybody has them. In fact, my city has passed an ordinance which forbids drones flying over private property. The parks on the weekends have drone collisions. Heck, a friend just gave his son one for his 8th birthday. A friend who runs a large company has 7 which he flies to record what is happening on his large property.

Why do you think having a drone flying over your property line is instantly bogus?

1 Like

No, I’m not saying the drone was bogus. The OP said everything in the story was true. I’m saying that’s when I knew the STORY, the POST was bogus. It was the way it was written!! .

1 Like

Turns out she’s not brand new either. She or he posted on the same topic when they joined in July. Posed as a jerk host looking for hosts to support them using the exact same scenario. Despite three posts trying to entrap hosts into justifying and support bad behavior, we’ve acquitted ourselves well.

3 Likes

Looks like her post has been removed. I thought
I saw on her profile that she or he just joined. Thanks for the follow up. And yes, we were vindicated!

2 Likes

I can attest to that!

When I joined I had to be provide a link to my listing to help show I was a host…is that no longer the case @KKC?

I think that is a question for Tom, the owner.

Now that I don’t know.

God this sounds like a nightmare. Neighbours are supposed to look out for one another not cause unnecessary drama. Sorry :confused:

I’m having the same issue now. My neighbors called my husband to talk to him and started bullying him that this is a residential neighborhood and what your doing is illegal. Like we are murdering someone, selling drugs or have a prostitution ring. They called him and asked him where are all the cars doing in your home. He answered they are friends. We are not very pally pally with out neighbors and don’t want to say anyting. They know and then the lady started screaming at him saying that they are short term rentals. Why you BS…ing me. My husband just ignored her. Then she mentioned that she knew someone in the county and we looked you up. We know you are renting 4 rooms. Blah Blah. She also found out that our home is a vacation rental. But I feel like this is sheer abuse and bullying and invasion of privacy. What is with people using excuses of their children. I have 5 children to feed blah blah and I feel like guests will come and abduct my children. You have made the neigborhood unsafe and I saw someone hooking up next to our home that was from you AirBnb. What can you do with these neighbors. It seems like they are just jealous. Luckily our Bnb is hidden from them and is not on the main street. I’m building bigger better fence now so I can stay as far away from these people as possible.

@mummy I am sorry you are having these issues.

When I decided to do Airbnb I contacted all my neighbours to let them know what I was doing, to see if they had any concerns and give them my contact details so they could contact me if they had any concerns regarding my guests. This has been helpful as sometimes guests get lost and ring on the wrong bell or lose their keys. And my neighbours appreciated me being up front.

Why didn’t your husband just explain that you had whatever permits you need/that you had checked to see what you were doing was legal?

As long as you are letting your place in accordance with any terms for STR laid down by your local government (I am sure you are), then why not just say what you are doing.

It might just be that because you haven’t been upfront with them and given them a chance to talk about what you are doing and allay any fears, you have made their concerns worse. Or they could just be awful neighbours.

In your situation if it is the former, I would go around and have a chat with them, tell them what you are doing to vet your guests ie making sure all guests have photo ID, having CCTV outside your home to monitor them, rules about no late night noise and provide them with a contact number.

I wouldn’t assume they are jealous. They are your neighbours. It’s alway best to try and get on, then not. You never know when you might need them on your side.

You mentioned in another post that you have up to 10 or guests coming and going from your place, so it probably will be noticeable if you are in a residential neighbourhood.

2 Likes

Mummy…

Don’t take this the wrong way but due to the intensity of your complaints about both the guests and the neighbors I’m wondering if this really is the business for you. I know Kauai has super strict regulations, but I think hosted rentals are allowed? In any event, let me play devils advocate and say the neighbors have a valid point. Vacation rentals DO disrupt neighborhoods, there is no question about that. Even if your guests are quiet, there are cars, luggage rolling in and out and if you have more than one room you are renting you can multiply that by several.

I live on a quiet street and rent an ohana. I feel like ONE set of vacationers is enough to impose on my neighbors. I could rent out more rooms, but I wouldn’t do that to the neighbors. Have a bunch of tourist cars parked around. I am assuming you guys are the homeowners here? If not these neighbors could complain to your landlord. If it were me I wouldn’t feel so hostile toward neighbors and maybe slowly cut back on the amount of traffic your rental produces. Rent less rooms out. But that’s just me.

3 Likes

Hi Guys you both have some great advise actually. So we are owners me and my husband and we have 2 homes in one so its a really big house with 6 bedrooms and 4 baths. We don’t need that much house for the 2 of us.We are actually tucked away from the neighbors down an alley so we have all 5 or even 7 car space in our own home not the street so people can’t even see the bags rolling unless they come down and look and we have 2 cctv camera and a board" Smile your on camera".
We were lucky to have gotten this home and own it.
Kona- As you know Kauai as 0 jobs. I’m qualified to get a good in big city. So this is pretty much the only option for us. We are doing pretty ok as well. I guess I should stop compaining to you guys. I guess the worst situations all hit at the same time. I also love meeting new people and not going back to the 9-5 which was 10 ten worst. We have been doing Air Bnb for 1-1/2 years and luckily the county gave us the vacation rental paper. The neighbors went ahead and looked at our property details can the county just give info to people who ask? Btw I have several neighbors going VRBO on my street and other street down . It an income.

Mahalo for all your advise

Helsi - I’m happy that you have great neighbors but these people are really weird from day one. The first intro was no hi how are you do you own the property or renting? Second statement “this is our neighborhood and we monitor the cars that come through here and if we don’t like anyone here we remove them from here with our guns” obviously not the best intro for someone new moving to the neighborhood. I would love if everything was great with them. We are taking a break for a month to diffuse the situation as we do have over 250 good reviews as well. Mahalo! Thanks for listening.

I get it and I am in the same boat. I’ve lived in Hawaii 26 years and am self employed in a professional field and I also substitute teach. I’ve been renting my ohana now for eight years, since the beginning of Airbnb. It’s helped me get through the tough times… However, regulations are upon us all in Hawaii… Here are just a few the state is considering. This would impact you, me and everyone else who is doing this. On Kauai, I know that it’s illegal unless you are in a resort zone or are living onsite (which you are). But there could come a time when they shut the whole thing down. We can never become too dependent or too complacent, thinking these rules don’t apply to us. We also have to be aware that some of the things the neighbors are ticked about are valid complaints, and I know that they may not be the most diplomatic at complaining. But overrunning a neighborhood or street with tourist cars will eventually begin to annoy, it just will. It will get people complaining to the county legislators. That’s why are beginning to see a lot of signs of unrest. We have to be aware there is a balance…

Also I hope you are collecting and paying your taxes and if not, start that ASAP. They are starting to track people down and send letters of non compliance out!

There are some State Bills that you are going to want to follow. HB is House Bill and SB is Senate Bill. You can find these on the Hawaii State Legislature website.

HB2605 and the companion is SB 2963- provides Counties with up to $1M for enforcement.
HB 2568 and the companion is SB 3035 applies to short term rental booking services.
SB2280 established a revolving enforcement fund.
SB2999 sets up a 1 time amnesty program for back TAT and GET, allows State to take all profits from “illegal” future rentals, empowers Counties to phase out short term rentals, makes illegal (criminalizes- fines and prison) advertising of a rental in an area not zoned for it.

You read that last one right. A class C felony, like a sexual assault, burglary, etc. With prison time.

I would urge you to submit testimony on these bills so the powers that be know how their constituents feel.

3 Likes

Kona - WOW! Glad you are so knowledgeable on the legislature. Is there a way to get Air to notify others in Hawaii about these so other hosts will be aware of what is happening and can submit testimony?

I’m not sure if I would even be aware of any legislation pending n my state…

Edit: Just went to my state’s legislature page and did a key word search on Short Term Rentals. Nothing showed up in the search.

1 Like

Air will usually email us when things come up. This is only the beginning, there are a zillion bills waiting to be heard or working their way through.