My township and neighbors strike again!

Yes i am in a mostly white town and neighborhood. But I didn’t think neighbors would stoop so low and keep watching what’s going on with me or my property. I haven’t had neighbor interaction even before (well it was very rare, and when there was it was friendly) so I did nothing to cause personal animosity.

I think it may come down to xenophobic neighbors who got paranoid and reported me. The only ones who could have done that were either my next door neighbors or the ones across the street.

Yup … sounds like that’s the issue :frowning:

I think so too. They must have too much time on their hands to keep watching who’s coming to and from my house. Me, I don’t have the time to watch and see what neighbors are doing.

Were you intending to be funny?

I don’t think he was trying to be funny; he could be right. I also saw on some websites that PA ranks up there in terms of being a racist and xenophobic state. I also read it on some forums. What I’m going through now could prove him right.

I meant this part. Every state and town has racist xenophobes.

May I ask if you or a significant percentage of your guests are minorities. In other words is that maybe be the issue, your neighbors don’t like that your airbnb brings people of color into their neighborhood?

I am white. So is everyone else in my neighborhood. There was one Latino family but they moved out. A fairly large percentage of my guests are Asian and African American.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what their problem is.

2 Likes

I’m really teetering towards that theory.

1 Like

Me too. You are upsetting the apple cart. LoL

Yes I am. Lol but they will have to deal with it. It’s my property, who I have over is my business.

2 Likes

Our closest neighbor lives about 1.5 miles distance from our property. The next one about another mile or so. And still, they complained about added traffic, environmental concerns and whatnot, until code enforcement shut us down. As with other counties or townships, there is no specific code that forbids sharing our property with guests, but that did not deter the county to cite us. And our property is zoned recreational!

1 Like

^^^ Amazing story Max.

Gee, those neighbors must have had too much time on their hands to drive 1.5 miles to see who’s at your property. They must have somehow found your ad, and started monitoring your property.

I see you’re still here. Does that mean you found a way to host again?

That is what happened, yes.

I went to the county and applied for a land use permit. But we are in the Califonia Coastal Zone, and that process is quite complicated, time-consuming and expensive. It requires public hearings and a vote by the Board of Supervisors. I am committed to take this as far as necessary. I do not see any reason, why I should not let several guests tent-camp on my property. There is no dangerous wildlife, the landscape is flat or slightly sloped. I have clean showers and toilets available for the guests and have taken many precautions to ensure their general safety. And the neighbors…they have not expressed their concerns to me personally.

yup I ran into a similar scenario but was able to overcome thank goodness ( for now )

I doubt it. Neighbors simply dont want strangers around

We had many fight with strata and neighbors. Which including the lawyers.

One of the apartment ( most profitable one) has been banned by strata for airbnb and they even installed camera in front of my door lol, so we started level here by ourselves lol. We haven’t been doing airbnb here for more than one year. Last week we have new neighbors moved in the same floor on my left side apartment. During their moving they have left a lot of rubbish in the common area, then I received a notes slide under my door ( right hand side neighbors) asking me to clean my mess in very sarcastic way. We wrote them back told them although we didn’t make the mess but we still cleaned it but next time don’t jump to conclusion before write a stupid notes.

That women went furious and start kick our door , and swearing at me and y partner . She use her fingers pointing my head and said loudly "you fucking idiot doing airbnb illegal , it is illegal " apparently she was drinking as I can smell she’s drunk. She want to walk into my apartment to find evidence I do hosting here. And she even think I am. The guests myself keep asking who you rent your apartment from. I told her to f@cking get out my house. I showed her my fiest to make her backwards. Although I didnt do airbnb here but I don’t want any intruders either.

Her husband came in and told her back to her apartment and apologised for her bad behaviour.

That women keep saying she interviewed my guests and she knew I did airbnb here and she said my cleaners also told her they need clean a lot of beds. she said took a lot of photos blablabla.

So what I learnt from here is be very careful. Tell all your guests they are your friends or family members if anyone asked. Tell them enter and exit apartment quietly to attract less attention. Make sure your cleaners don’t betray you by revealing important information to others. I told all my cleaners just says they are here to clean don’t know anything.

Once my neighbor wanted to trick my cleaner, she said “woo, what’s a beautiful apartment, can I have a look ? are you guys doing airbnb here? My family wants visit can they stay here ? May I take photos?”

“No, I don’t know anything, I just clean. You can’t enter this property” lucky she’s very smart and figured out