My review for the place with the aggressive horses

My RN husband told me, but now that I’ve been questioned and looked it up on the net, he is apparently wrong! So sorry all, for thinking I know what I’m talking about. I hate it when that happens (when I look like an idiot), but I’m grateful for the opportunity to learn something. Oh, and by the way, when he wakes up to go to work this evening, you can bet I’ll question him about this! LOL!

@dcmooney, I think you’ve got the part about the horses nailed. Also, with all you’ve said, it does sound like you were dealing with at least one horse that wasn’t typical in terms of interacting with people.

3 Likes

After reading reviews of my place that said it was a 3 for cleanliness, when it was spotless, but insects come in when the door opens, then see these pics, I’m more convinced than ever, that reviews are an alternate reality. Before guests come, I dust every edge, corner, ceiling for cobwebs. I think your review is too long, and too generous, most won’t read the block of text. It’s important to make it clear that this place is dirty, bedding issues and lack of signage to supposed atractions. Also, share about the bad mattresses, ratty towels. A host could, as I do, advise guests to bring their own towels. Maybe put that in your private feedback. A short sentence saying the horses can be intimidating but will be put in a fenced area. Make a note re no shade. Is this in Ontario?

You can buy new shower curtain liners for a few dollars.

I am working on making it shorter; thanks.

Yes, I agree that reviews are in an alternate reality. I stayed in a house last year that had great reviews. It had no a/c, was 86 degrees with no windows or doors that we could open (no screens on the doors and windows didn’t open) and reeked of mildew and musty basement. ???

Of course but you can also wash old ones and reuse it good as new. Better for the environment to use less plastics in our lives when possible.

Not really, consider the energy, soap etc. Mineral stains can be impossible to remove. I save my old ones for paint drop cloths.

Washing something generally doesn’t take up more resources than producing a new product.

I wash mine with a load of white sheets - so - bonus! I WINNNNN!! (LOL)

1 Like

exactly, you do it everytime between guests, and she does not. Cleanliness only takes time and effort. No money involved. Thats why there is no excuse not to have a house clean. People mistake some things that are not cleanliness issue, like an older house that does not have prettiness to it, or occasional flying in bug. But other than that rental property needs to be cleaned well. If it was that bad , say it.I know its hard to do when a host is very nice,

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone, for all of your hand-holding today. I’m very thankful for each one that took time to share their opinion.

Here’s what I ended up with. The family really liked it. Her review of us was very kind and said she wouldn’t hesitate to host us again - well, we’ll see now!!

"Beautiful scenery, convenient location, peaceful property, responsive host, comfortable house that is in need of a thorough cleaning. The free roaming horses are very assertive so if you don’t know how to handle that let Celeste know; she immediately fenced them in for us when we told her our concerns.

We relaxed immediately at this beautiful, restful location. Even if we hadn’t gone anywhere we would have been so happy. My daughter enjoyed feeding the chickens and the peahen is pretty darn cool. We visited Natural Bridge, which is awesome, Panther Creek Falls, which is fabulous, Blue Ridge Parkway, of course – and just lay around soaking in the fresh air and quiet sunshine. The house is closer to Glasgow than Buena Vista and a nice little market with friendly service is just a short drive down a beautiful road. If you have a portable shelter or sun shade bring it so you can enjoy the outdoor seating even more. We loved having a fire in the morning with our cup of tea, waiting for the fog to lift off of the mountains. Celeste was very quick to respond to our questions and did a great job communicating. We appreciate her opening her place to families at such a great price. It gave us a much needed rest after a summer of hosting in our own airbnb.

2 Likes

Yeah, lets just throw away those dirty socks, instead of washing them. I knew a crazy guy like that.

2 Likes

yeah, hard when a host is nice and when, in spite of the dirt, we had such a fabulous time.

I just need to increase my travel budget, that’s all there is to it. And maybe charge more for my own place so I don’t have to stay in dumps when we get away. It’s just so dang expensive when you add a 5th person.

Don’t mention that to that last child… too late to go back! :grin:

2 Likes

Oh, I know, right?! It’s even a bit more interesting since he’s adopted when he was 12. So much we didn’t know to anticipate…

It does seem like there is a huge price jump if you have more than four guests in your party. I used to host up to six people (got out a futon for the floor) and it really set my listing apart, since at any given time there are only maybe 4 listing in my area that are under $200 a night that sleep six. (I charged about $145 a night for 5 guests and $160 a night for 6 guests.)

1 Like

Yes, which is why we charge per-person over three, so I can still get bookings for smaller groups but make money when it’s more people. We have toyed with the idea of allowing 6, but there is only one bathroom. Do you get many groups that big? My average group is 3.7 people

Out of 71 completed trips, I’ve hosted maybe… 3 or 4 groups of six? The family with the four young children, three couples who wanted a place to crash after a concert, and one or two groups of friends. I emphasize that with that big of a group, they should pretty much only plan to be there to sleep, since there is only one bathroom and not really even room for their luggage or anywhere to hang out. I don’t remember if everyone left me a review, but if they did, there were no complaints. I think everyone was thankful to have a cheap place to sleep.

When I decided to host up to six people, I thought I’d get a lot of requests from bands (I have a friend in a band and they stay in budget AirBnBs pretty regularly when on tour). However, I only had one band inquire, and they didn’t end up booking when I emphasized that they would not be partying or having guests over. I guess I scared them off with my stereotypes about partying rock stars.

I haven’t noticed much of a difference between the groups of 5 and 6, except the groups of 5 are more likely to stay longer and make more trash.

1 Like

I just increased mine to 6; we’ll see what happens.

I hope it goes well! Are you prepared to have breakfast for that many?

Your review sounds so much better than the original. Glad you were able to come up with something you liked and that worked for you.