My plan as a complete newbie host

OK, I will admit that I didn’t actually read your entire post, lol!

Kona is not an island.

Oh, wait, let me guess…the Xanax is kicking in.

1 Like

Well…it will any minute now.

Well this has gone a bit off the rails. I do appreciate everyone’s insight. Yes, I have worked in real estate for the past 5 years or so. While I technically am a licensed agent, I do not sell real estate anymore nor have I for about 3 years. I managed a very high volume real estate team for a few of the most recent years, and currently work for a title company. But none of that experience does much to teach me anything about a beach community 80 miles away (I sold real estate in the Detroit suburbs) nor does it tell me anything about renting a vacation home out to people. That’s why I turned here. Of course I would not solely base my decision on this forum and what replies I get, and hurry up and sign my name on the dotted line to owe a bank tens of thousands of dollars. But I did think I would get some good insight here, which I have. When I say investing in real estate doesn’t scare me, I say that because 1.) my intention would be to move into this house in a year or so. So either way if this became a mistake, I would only have to figure it out in the short term. 2) I can always put a conventional tenant in the home (which may be a better option anyway 3) I can sell it.

2 Likes

Don’t let some of the forum “comedians” scare you away. :laughing: they love to get their jollies by being sarcastic and throwing out insults to those they don’t perceive as smart as they are. :smile:

Funny, Nat Geo had an interesting bit on Lake Huron today and how the glacial ice still under the Great Lakes have the entire NA continent tilting slightly. The melting of the ice due to global warming (yes that is a real thing) is shifting their boundaries and will create some new beach areas eventually while eroding others. In a few millennia probably, so your investment is still safe. Try to check it out. Cool graphics!

1 Like

I thought you said you could cover a month or 3 out of pocket…that is not enough of a buffer. Unless you have money in the bank, …you are a speculator. That puts you in a risk position. My advice = NO. You cant afford it.

2 Likes

I could carry the payment every month if I had to. It wouldn’t be very comfortable but I could do it.

Thanks :slight_smile: the Great Lakes are truly incredible. I’m sure Hawaii is too…but you should definitely visit the lakes sometime!

I visited Lake Superior once and loved it. I came from California looking for loons. We did a canoe camping trip into the Boundary Waters and it was one of the best trips I ever took. We saw the Northeen Lights from Ely. We heard wolves at night and loons during the day. Incredible!

I would imagine the Boundary Waters are glacial as well.

You can always hire someone to be your greeter for guests , its like a bellhop service . Its always a great idea to have a live person meet and great . That way if any guests are trying to bring in more people then allowed you are covered . An entry way security camera is another great idea . You do have to disclose that you have it for Airbnb and can only have it outside your building and not inside , that would be considered spying and stalking under Airbnb’s TOS .