My New 'Summary'

What do you think? Would you stay here? I just totally reworded this - it needed refreshing. I have to repeat about the two bedrooms because, since the space is not separated by a locked door it has to be ‘private room’ but air allows me to enter only ‘1’ for number of bedrooms. :confused: (FYI ‘UMD’ is University of Maryland)

2 Bedrooms/Private Bath/Hot Breakfast/Convenient

“Welcome! Come make our two-bedroom, light-filled, semi-private basement apartment your family’s place to relax when visiting DC, UMD, or other. Bedroom 1 has a queen bed & a twin. Bedroom 2 has a queen bed. You will have your own kitchenette, private bath, and a free, hot breakfast. Walk 5 min to the F4 metrobus stop for a 2 mile ride to Prince George Metro station on the green line. Suitable for business travel! Free Parking. Come and enjoy the quiet burbs after a day in the city!!”

1 Like

I would stay there (And I hope to this spring!) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find that this is incredibly important. So many guests say that they chose our place because of it.

Just a question… is this something you have to have a B&B license to do? I thought serving continental was OK, but cooking hot breakfast is allowed?

1 Like

Great question. I can heat up stuff - like croissants - fully cooked sausage - hard cooked eggs (as long as I don’t peel them, ha ha) frozen rolls - mini quiche when ‘in season’ at Costco - frozen biscuits - frozen waffles… Not what I would call a ‘nice breakfast’ but my guests seem to like it - and if I put ‘breakfast’ as filter in my search I really stand out. This was all discussed with my county guy. He actually had to go and ask a superior about the hard cooked eggs!

3 Likes

Your new summary is everything it should be. Tells what it is, where it is, and who it’s for. Perfect.

Aw, thanks so much! I just also added more photos and beefed up my captions.

It sounds very cheerful, and i would definitely stay there. The only thing i would ask you additionaly because i am a big fan of UBER and LYFT rides,is how much it will cost to get to for example White house or George town.
I put in my listing how much it is on UBER to get to the beach, Margaritaville, Hard Rock, LAs Olas, South Beach and other places. Then you can attract people who are not planning to get a car. Because Suburbs sounds a bit like far from all the attractions

2 Likes

The coolest place on the planet :slight_smile:

1 Like

smart!! Thanks, @Yana_Agapova! I assume people will use public transportation, but you’re right - many of my guests actually use Uber.

The hard boiled eggs were available at the Normandy DCs continental breakfast. I’m assuming they don’t have a license to cook either!

1 Like

We don’t have Uber on Hawaii Island.

I thought you would not

Kona – every city/county/state in the US has different rules, but in general you can cook and serve breakfast without any special equipment, commercial kitchen, license, etc.

I’m a Personal Chef and have been in several states over the past 16 years, and that’s what we do – go to people’s homes and cook for them. In the US, this is perfectly legal, with virtually no hoops to jump through.

1 Like

It’s all over Honolulu though.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t there a difference between doing what you do and cooking for the traveling public in your home? If I hire you to come in my house to make a meal, teach yoga or anything else, it seems like a private transaction between you and me. If I offer cooked hot breakfast to the traveling public, that seems like a whole different ballgame.

You absolutely right. You can not serve food to public made in your house. Kitchen has to be sertified and health inspector has to come and check it for standards. You can not sell food made at your own house on a kitchen that you use for yourself. How do i know that? Because i used to work as a raw food chef, was teaching classes, and was selling my product on a farmers market. I had to get a license and i had to make my product in one of the restaurants i was teaching at, and inspector came there and checked. Though my food was not even cooked, it was dehydrated and mixed.
In a case of us hosts serving breakfast its the same thing, Though there is no price on it separately but it is sold, the only difference it is sold as a package with the room.
What i dont know if it was not included , and a host just wants to share her meal with a guest ocassionaly. Would that count as a sold item?

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been disappointed more than once at B&Bs in Maryland, finding their breakfast to be sparse. Now I know why. Not only would I need a license, I would have to have a separate commercial kitchen - it would not even be adequate to make my own personal kitchen commercial - I have to have it separate from the kitchen I use for personal use.

For awhile I laughingly called our place the “Don’t Crack an Egg” b&b!!

1 Like

Yes, it is totally different cooking in the person’s home, I’m sure. We’ve been through this - the health board in MY COUNTY has been very helpful and very clear - I can warm up food prepared in a commercial kitchen, including making a hard cooked egg, but I can’t crack the egg and I can’t slice meat OR even slice fruit. I do admit, I cheat and use kitchen shears to cut the grapes into smaller bunches. But I don’t serve melons any longer - just berries, cuties, bananas, and apples.

Bananas, btw, are the most popular fruit. “Cuties” (the little oranges next) and forget about apples - no one eats them!!

Sorry - most of that reply is for @KenH ; )

I live max 15 minutes from you. It costs 10$ LYFT from my house to Timpano

1 Like