My mom died this afternoon... cancelling a booking for this week... HOW TO?

Please see my later reply (written today, July 21st). I think it is at the very bottom of this thread. I tried to include all possible info, so I wouldn’t have further questions. :wink:

Please see my later reply (written today, July 21st). I think it is at the very bottom of this thread. I tried to include all possible info, so I wouldn’t have further questions. :wink:

I spent a couple of days at end of June making a painting for Dad, so I think that helped me some.

I don’t mind sharing it with y’all. I’ll see if I can post picture at end of the thread.

UPDATE and info for others:

i scanned the paper from hospice, before any obit or cert was out .

AND I also scanned my birth certificate, basically to show she is my mother, mainly because (and obviously) my airbnb account lists my married name. My maiden name is unusual enough that those 2 documents was plenty of info for them. No penalty at all for cancelling 3 people’s 1 night stays, that were all during that week.

So, 2 documents = her note from hospice and my birth certificate.

I knew that I would get penalty if I cancelled anyone so I was on the phone with them that evening or maybe it was the next morning. In comparison to IF such were sudden, we already KNEW she didn’t have much longer, although her decline since February happened a lot faster than anyone expected. Fortunately I was able to visit her 4 times in the Spring, all but one of these were for several days to nearly a week at a time, and the last goodbye (on earth) was the 11th, with her passing on 17th. (And I had sorta half-jokingly on 9th or 10th,

thinking she can’t control such - but I had asked her to please not pass on my wedding anniversary, the 15th, which I explained to her was that Thursday. She [very weakly and lovingly but remembered] and she quoted that, on the 15th, and then held on til afternoon of 2 days later.)
She passed on a Saturday, I think 1 stay was like Tuesday, and a Thursday, Friday, or something like that. We flew out Tuesday for service on that Wednesday, and came back Friday or Saturday. The following week, Airbnb sent us a bouquet of flowers and a condolences card…

Dad left for a long hike (planned a month, but was 10 days, a break at home, then another 5 days or so.) We left for family camp like the 28th - July 10th, during which time I made a nice painting for dad.

I hope this info helps for anybody who was in similar situation. I understand it would be really hard if anyone had a booking on the same day, but I was luckily able to give I think 48, maybe 72 hour notice.

I MISS HER, but she’s in better place now.

2 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: :innocent: :smiley: Painting I made for Dad, a few weeks ago, mailed it and he opened it, yesterday.

3 Likes

We just went through an unexpected emergency with my MIL. Unlike, @AnneRunner5 completely out of the blue and we were on a plane to Sweden within 24hours. We had to cancel a ABB we booked as guests. We had an AWFUL time getting documentation from the Hospital in Sweden (privacy reasons) that was adequate for ABB. MIL couldnt give permission for DH to have a Drs note, and DH and his brothers were able to talk about her condition and treatment, but not get something in writing. I know this sounds absurd, but it is what it is. I sent our airline tickets, booked the day before we left, I know that doesnt prove much, but thought it would help. Luckily, the host ended up just refunding us, but just wanted to share my story. Since we all tend to question these out of the blue ER situations, and I know most are fake-ish, that some are legit and it sucks for the guests just as much as the host. The $250 refund was greatly appreciated after shelling out $4k for an impromptu trip.

That is beautiful! The halo in the clouds is lovely. My condolences to you.

Hope all is well! Glad to hear you got refunded by the host.