My listing was scammed and I'm still waiting for help 10 days later!

This is the email I received. Looked quite like an Airbnb message to my novice eye.
Just putting it out there so that as many people are on alert as possible.
Sarah -thanks for the tip about my bank details. That’s all OK too since I got payment for a guest stay the day after I was alerted about the changes to my listing.
So all in all, I think I’ve decided to go ahead and relist. But I’m going to post something on linkedin and twitter as it’s an interesting experience for my line of work - marketing and CX!

Thanks for the link to the phishing tutorial. I will watch with interest!

Quinti - I would double check your banking details again. Even though you received the payment the day after you were alerted. Are you positive the payment wasn’t already on it’s way? For example: Air could have released payment, and maybe it was in transit - then the phisher took hold of your account. I don’t know…but I would double check.

I don’t know much about viruses, etc. but if the link installed a keylogger virus on your computer, then I believe the hacker is able to watch all of your keystrokes and find out bank passwords, etc. Maybe someone tech savvy can comment on that?

1 Like

That TOTALLY does. Then what was the other screenshot?

I am always get a sms same time as get air bnb mail so this way I know it s legit

1 Like

Yes that looks like an Airbnb email because it is one. The scammer contacted you via airbnb. The claimed to have found your listing on a forum which they linked to. You put that link into your browser and entered your log in info and then they took over, or began to take over, your listing. Isn’t that what happened?

1 Like

That’s nearly what happened. I did put that link into my browser but I didn’t enter my log in information. I think I must have been logged in already and so the link took me straight to my already-logged-in page. Then they changed the phone number and started to make other changes.

The other screen shot was of a ‘photo’ in the Foto section showing the property.

I got this on Wimdu. Unsettling - but nothing came of it.

1 Like

That is exactly the same profile picture I got with two phishing scams months ago. Glad you posted it. The user names are different in both inquiries but the photo is exactly the same. They set up profiles under new names each time air takes down the last one. Must be the same person s

1 Like