My guests with the peeping-tom now want to cancel the remainder of their stay - need some help!

Tried to search the sex offender registry. Thousands within a 10 mile radius. Daunting to say the least.

Wondering if the court records can list a person who has no charges filed against him? Or all dismissed? kind of doubt it.

In Alaska court records are public unless sealed. The actual documents arenā€™t online unless you apply for access and pay the monthly fee, but you can see the docket for every case, and all events in the case from booking or citation on.

Didnā€™t the cops give you the name of the perp? AFAIK the federally mandated state registries have to be searchable by either name or address. Some can limit results to a certain distance from an address.

When I was property manager for 700 rental units we used both systems for checking tenant applications, because we didnā€™t allow sex offenders in our apartments, which had a lot of families, and the court system would tell us if applicants had outstanding judgements against them, or if they had a child support order that was in arrears (court system, Child Support, IRS, all had first dibs on any assets that could be attached), or if an eviction action had been files against them, even if it had been dismissed.

If your court system canā€™t do case searches on line, you can always head for the courthouse to do your own public records searches. They donā€™t always make it easy, but most court records have to be public, by law.

2 Likes

How did you manage that??? Any tune I have a guest leave early and refund them anything AirBnB doesnā€™t give back any of their service NOR the taxes, even though they will jot be submitting them to the proper state and county departments of revenueā€¦

So, @yecatsr how did this all shake out? Did they review?

Has he stalked again?

And since they let the perp go, you should call the cop and get the guyā€™s name & address so that you can serve a trespass order on him, warning him that if he is on the property you will have him arrested for trespassing.

Weā€™d all like to know.

6 Likes

Shame on me for lack of updates. Iā€™ve been busy with my home share (STR) issues. The usualā€¦electrical and plumbing, SMH.

I really have no more info other than he has not been back. @NordlingHouse, they will not release the perpā€™s name or any other info to me until heā€™s been successfully prosecuted. I donā€™t know why, but thatā€™s the way it works here. Apparently.

I was under ā€œinvestigationā€ with Airbnb for "safety and compliance " issues. Whatever. I had to submit a bunch of documentation about the neighborhood, my unit, text messages with guests, police, videos, etc. etc. Guess what? Airbnb didnā€™t close the investigation or follow up with me, and itā€™s been months. I gave up after countless phone calls and messaging sessions. I assume Iā€™m OK on the ABB side of things since Iā€™m booked through July of 2022.

The guests who left early were trying to get something for nothing after cancelling the remainder of their stay. They wanted all of their stay refunded. They were issued a refund from me for days not stayed, but Air kept their fees. Big surprise, but oh well. They didnā€™t review thankfully, and neither did I.

Next guests came, stayed for 30 days, no problems, and left the place spotless. 5-stars for both of us.

I contacted the detective two weeks ago, still no updates on the outcome. Wondering when the court date is, but apparently I donā€™t have to appear on the 4 counts of ā€œmisdemeanor tamperingā€, i.e. unscrewing a lightbulb.

:woman_shrugging: :woman_shrugging: :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

@yecatsr You are AMAZING! Your calm and persistence are admirable. Thank you for sharing this crazy story. I hope no one else has to deal with something like this but appreciate your journey is here for reference. I live in Texas and Iā€™m OCD. I would have had a hard time not popping him with a bb gun, honestly, and Iā€™m a good shot. Iā€™ll have to check on the legality of that :thinking: (not supposed to discharge in the city but Iā€™m in an unincorporated area soā€¦). But seriously, what a great community to rally around you like that (mine would also). Prayers for safety and continued success at your rental.

3 Likes

In TX you absolutely can shoot someone in defense of your property, especially at night. You can kill them. You have no duty to retreat; we have the so called ā€œstand your groundā€ law. You must reasonably think that deadly force was necessary but again, in TX, the gun owner is given wide berth.

Note this is not a strategy I would advise. Killing someone will ruin your life unless you are a sociopath.

3 Likes

30 states have stand your ground now. We some defensive folks. Up here, we only have castle doctrine with no duty to retreat in our own home. But I recently discovered that we donā€™t have to have a permit for a gun if we only use it on our own property, I guess those go hand in hand.

I think Texas must have had the same castle doctrine in the past. I have a memory of a neighbor trying to give my mom a gun because of an estranged boyfriend and telling her, ā€œShoot him and then drag his body into the house. Make sure itā€™s at least half-way over the thresholdā€. :flushed:
(she didnā€™t take the gun)

Iā€™m glad the creepy guy stopped coming by. I guess the court date scared the crap out of him. Hopefully, he will keep it in his pants from now on!

1 Like

Both pretty scary shit, to someone who lives in a city where a forged ā‚¬20 note being passed in a shop makes the front page of the local newspaperā€¦

JF

4 Likes

And then your police officers cut off the guyā€™s air supply . . . oops, wait, wrong country.

4 Likes

In my state, it has to be self-defense (thatā€™s fair, right?), you canā€™t just blow away some guy who got lost and went into the wrong building (unless he then threatens your life).

Regardless of whether the law says you can shoot someone who may have just suffered a diabetic coma while walking past your house and fell into your yard or not, I consider it pretty scary shit when almost everyone seems to have a gun in their handbag, bedside drawer, or glove box.

That these paramilitary types can suit up in camo and baclavas and strut around in public with their assault weapons in the US blows my mind.

1 Like

*Balaclavas :rofl:

Thx. I know thatā€™s dessert, but didnā€™t check for typos. :flushed:

1 Like

Another thing you could do is get a restraining order on this person. That way, if they ever come to your property again, they will be arrested on the spot each time with escalating severity in offences. It might be worth looking into to protect future guests.

1 Like

I have NEVER been successful with this ever! I wonder if they inky did it because if the peeping Tom situation.

What great success you had there!

Yes, I guess I lucked out. Iā€™m not 100% sure it happened, however, I got mixed information depending on who I was speaking with at ABB ā€œsupportā€

1 Like