My guest arrived very late, did not knock on the door and checked into hotel

Yes, I do, though it doesn’t mean they’ll read it. Maybe in capitals below your address? And maybe you should add, wear clean underwear and remember to brush your teeth there as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have 2 dogs that RARELY bark - pretty much only when someone is at the door - or if they hear a noise in the backyard. They add to my security system. One sounds like she would bite you in half - but she is a loving sweet black lab. Once the guests meet the dogs - they don’t bark again!

2 Likes

I have a digital door lock so guests can “check in” without me being present. I do not want to be tied down waiting for someone. I also leave my porch light on all the time (low wattage LED bulb).

1 Like

I love listening to Richard. I OD on him on YouTube a lot, along with Sam Harris and Hitch :slight_smile:

This may be the reason your guest left. If he heard you dogs barking like they would bite him in half, he might have thought that he was unsafe at your listing. We keep the dogs away from the front door when we have guests arriving.

3 Likes

the dogs NEVER barked - he never stepped foot out of his car - He texted me and left immediately. And my dogs do not have access to the front of the house and are not at the front door when guests enter or leave. @EllenN. I also have an electronic keyless front entry @rod, once the guest arrives I show them their room (I rent out 3 rooms) show them how to use the keyless entry (some people do not have a clue) and I always leave my porchlight on as well, this was an exception, it was Halloween and I was deterring late trick or treaters and I fell asleep! I spoke to AirBnb today and they settled it by calling the guest (he never called them or tried to cancel his reservation) - they could see both sides - they refunded him the entire amount. I accepted a one night refund and they paid his other night plus fees. So everyone is happy! Lesson learned! But from talking to the AirBnb Rep, it sounded to me like the guest was scared - he mentioned that it was late at night, it was Halloween and the lights were off and it was dark!

I wouldn’t refund.

He should’ve knocked, not waiting 15 minutes then booked a hotel. Sheesh.

No lights on a front door? Use his phone flashlight, then knock. Then call you.

I don’t call knocking on a door, instead of just texting, “jumpting through hoops to get to their room.”

I’ve had hosts ask me to walk nearly 1.5 miles to a nearby key lock facility to pick up a key. Knocking on a door is knocking. Seriously, who doesn’t knock after paying for a place and is just like “oh, ok, I have to get a hotel.” Um, knock, light or not.

Personally, I’d consider giving them a pin number code for the door if they have stellar airbnb reviews and/or deposit and are arriving so late. Only with deposit, so they don’t abuse that and bring in other guests/etc.

I wouldn’t have refunded the guest. They should’ve knocked and or waited more than the 15 minutes you accidentally missed.

You OD on Richard Dawkins? That sounds uncomfortable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suppose you know OD=overdose?

But after my brain gets over-worked from listening to Richard and Hitch I give it a break and watch men lip syncing Taylor Swift on YouTube :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, of course.

There are better things to watch on Youtube. Check out, for example Monsoon Wedding, or here’s a 4 min clip: Monsoon Wedding - Chunari Chunari.

1 Like

walk 1.5 miles? YIKES - that is terrible! and thank you for your support @room. I really vacillated on that one - I felt really bad - but I agree with you - YOU KNOCK ON THE FRONT DOOR, or even if he waited in his car a few minutes, I would’ve reached him, it was only minutes after he texted that I called him and he was already settled in to his hotel (booked for 2 nights). I agreed to a partial refund because I felt responsible for not having a light on for his FIRST night. It was Halloween and he got nervous and his imagination took over. AirBnb was completely on my side and said I did not have to return ANY of the money, but on the flip side of doing that, if I hadn’t returned the money, the reservation would’ve stayed open for him to return OR NOT and then leave me a review - which I did not need! So, I’m happy the way it worked out - Do I really want a scaredy cat weenie staying here - ha ha ha

1 Like

I would refund the guests and since it is hard for you stay awake you shouldn’t accept any late check in in the future

3 Likes

I know Monsoon Wedding! Loved it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t expect this reply. :slight_smile:

Or provide for keyless entry, the easiest of all.

I agree. I’ve thought about getting one but probably won’t. I use the low tech way: put it under a pot or the mat. But that’s the easy part. I have problems with guests not being able to find my house because you can’t see it from the street. Even when I give very explicit instructions which are in the listing I still have guests freaking out.

What an awkward position to be in. I’m going to learn from your lesson not to reply too quickly until I’ve thought things through… then give it another day.

I can kind of understand not wanting to disturb you when he got there late and hadn’t had a reply from you - but then again he was the one who was late… hmmm. I think I would have refunded the first night for sleeping through his messages and the unfortunate situation of turning off the porch light (good excuse, though!).

However, HE CHOSE to book the hotel for the second night, as well… after booking your place and showing up late. I would have told him that, and let him decide if it was worth forfeiting the second night charge in lieu of not having to move again.

In short, I’d refund the first night if I wanted to be nice, but not the second.

2 Likes

Perfect @CanadianHost - thank you … that was the exact outcome. Later that afternoon, I spoke with AirBnb, they advised that since there was no cancelation, no money needed to be refunded. The guest never called them. So Air called the guest, he requested a FULL refund, they called me back and after discussing the options with Air, I chose to refund ONE night and Air gave him a full refund and the reservation was canceled. There were no reviews by either party. So, it worked out fine! But you are right - a definite lesson learned here!

2 Likes

@CanadianHost - thank you … that was the exact outcome.
[/quote]
I thought that maybe my suggestion was too late… I’m glad to know that it helped you’re happy with the final outcome.

I find it a bit cheeky that he requested a full refund after arriving late and canceling a night when he didn’t have to. Of course hosts would try to accommodate guests when possible - unexpected things happen all the time. But he chose to book a room in a house rather than a hotel knowing he would arrive late - and then was much later than expected. He needs to shoulder some responsibility. If I were a guest I would feel badly - would have made different decisions (I would have knocked on the door knowing my host had accepted a late-night reservation in the first place) - and would want to compensate the host for the inconvenience.

I’m impressed that Airbnb worked with you to get a satisfactory result.

1 Like

You keep saying that the guest was late. The guest got the okay from the host for a late arrival of 11:30 P.M. He was only 45 minutes later than that, arriving at 12:15 A.M. and he texted updates to the host who was asleep so didn’t see the texts. The guest arrived to find a completely dark house with no sign that anyone was expecting him. If this happened to me, I would be concerned that I was at the wrong address. I would leave and find a hotel. I believe that in this case the host was in the wrong. If you don’t want to leave lights on because it’s Halloween you should only accept arrivals during daylight for that day.

3 Likes