My account got deactivated by Airbnb for violating terms

The End of History? The short, strange era of human civilization would appear to be drawing to a close | Noam Chomsky?

My usual general Chomsky recommendation (for people who aren’t already familiar with him) is

My copy of this has been read so much it’s starting to fall apart…

3 Likes

I was one of the first hosts to open an account with Airbnb and try them. They were funky back in the day. They were a lot like the competing platforms are now. With a lot less services. In a way a lot easier and more friendly. Guests weren’t so not picky and more appreciative for what they got. Reviews were not,double blind. No extenuating circumstances policies. Not so much siding with the guest. In my case, I was such a plain Jane listing back then but guests still loved it!

Zandra, try Twitter. They offer a second look at an issue. It worked for me. If Olivia didn’t stay she should not be allowed to leave a review.

3 Likes

I studied internal political economy so Chomsky is a favourite. Gramsci being my all time fave.

1 Like

Chomsky is a hero to many.

They teach Chomsky at universities? Bang go one of my illusions.

I’ve not heard of Gramsci. Any recommended reading?

I don’t care any more @konacoconutz. Airbnb have become an organisation that just doesn’t want to listen … and I am not minded to try and shout as I could easily find myself delisted. I’d rather keep that control myself.

2 Likes

Zandra, I know you are discouraged. But it doesn’t hurt to try, just in case you change your mind and want to start hosting again. They did listen to me and helped.

Sorry for your frame of mind and I totally understand the feeling of being jaded by guests and realizing Air sides with them. Sorry. :’(

1 Like

Gramsci is all about the hegemony of ideas. For me his work is very much a useful critique of neo-liberal capitalism. Read his prison notebooks.

2 Likes

Also, you won’t get delisted for asking for a review of this unfair situation. You won’t. Just be the polite person I know you to be and state the facts without emotion and ask for what you want. You won’t get delisted for that.

1 Like

Common sense says you’re right @konacoconutz. however common sense has been lacking in my recent dealings with the mother ship.

Trust me I’m persistent. Air have me a voucher for the decision they made with the crappy guest who stole my umbrella but they didn’t reverse their decision. What they said was ‘we will not talk about this further.’ No explanation behind the logic of allowing the guest to pay £3 for a £10 umbrella. No explanation why the guest could ding me for not realising they had booked a small room. Mere weeks later I’m dealing with the same issue.

Still I’ve kept my five star rating on cleanliness ! Reason to celebrate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awe … I know. Been there… Hugs.

1 Like

I’m glad Airbnb is taking seriously what sounds like a sexual assault claim. I know we don’t have all the info and it’s impossible to say what actually did happen… and whether it had anything to do with the host or not… but I’m glad they’re taking it seriously. I just hope that’s not the end of it - I hope they investigate properly and take proper action (reinstate the hosts listing if need be). I hope the police are involved.

That’s the end of it. Be sure about that.