More Flexible Reservations

I am still processing what to do. I just checked and I don’t see a cancellation policy filter yet.
I can probably be flexible through the summer/fall, but I need strict during ski season. Otherwise too many people will cancel for something cheaper, waiting for perfect powder day, don’t want to drive in storms etc

Agree 100%… but for the opposite reason. I always look for homes with pets if traveling alone. They really need to add this.

1 Like

They should offer a plan where people pay 10% more but get a refundable option. I always pay more to ensure I can cancel when I book a hotel.

They have a version of that but where you get a discount if you book non refundable. But EC trumps all.

I think it’s 10% less, but it’s non-refundable. I want the opposite. I would take 10% more to give them cancellation up to 5 days in advance. The problem is that a lot of people use cancellations as a way to book something better if it comes along. I do it with hotels. If i find something cheaper, or better, within the window, I will cancel and move.

I increased our cancellation policy from Flexible/Non-Refundable to Moderate/Non-Refundable. We just had a guy cancel a one-week stay which would have started April 3. The Moderate policy would not have made any difference, but I don’t want this virus scare to eat into my profits anymore than it has.

What is the reasoning behind moving to a stricter cancellation policy?

Two reasons:

(1) I’m pretty much the only credible Airbnb host on my community, so I can increase my standards.

(2) Before 5 days prior to check-in is plenty of time for a guest to know whether he or she is coming.

1 Like

@Josiah Okay, best of luck.

I still have one of the least restrictive cancellations policies among the 2 other (credible) listings. And the lowest cleaning fee. And the lowest prices.

Airbnb claims it is non-refundable. Anecdotally, that has not been the experience of several hosts.

I for one would not trust Airbnb to enforce the non-refundable aspect, so why bother giving the discount at all?

Well, piss me right off! I’ve been flexible all along. Where is my listing bump and my refund of Airbnb fees? Should I switch to Strict then offer flexibility in order to get these bennies? Grrrrr.
Rewards for Flexible Hosts [emphasis added]
We appreciate and are committed to supporting hosts who are willing and able to offer refunds on cancellations that would have otherwise been subject to charges. Hosts will have new tools to directly authorize extra refunds through our platform. We will also provide promotions that increase visibility for these listings to drive new bookings. Finally, we will waive our standard 3 percent host fee on new reservations for these listings through June 1, 2020.

1 Like

I’m also on flexible about 80% of the time. We have speculated in the past that when you get a cancellation it seems that a rebooking comes in soon after. Maybe that’s always been there secretly for those of us using flexible. Now they are just dangling it as a carrot?

There are a limited number of spots on the first page so it’s great to get a bump but it should be a rotating bump.

Worked for me a few times actually. Although, once I offered a full refund. Even got rebooked and made 2x as much another time.

1 Like

You didn’t get a bump as promised after following their instructions.?
Try amending your listing. I changed a few things in description and added more photos, changed photos out etc. Now I am at the top of the search !! Have been since I revised my listing description and pics over 2 weeks ago. It may work for you.

I think @dpfromva was indicating that since the listing is already on flexible policy, there’s nothing to do, and also no reward for always having been more favorable to guests.

1 Like

My mistake. I see the frustration in that. Like the cable companies giving “new clients” bonuses for signing up while you have been a loyal customer all along.
Thank you for the clarification.

1 Like

Oh man, that’s one of my pain points!

2 Likes